• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any Value in DDR2 "Value" RAM?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

macncheese

I'm planning on purchasing what I consider "middle of the road" components and was wondering if I could expect a "middle of the road" overclock on typical DDR2 value ram. Is there really any "value" in the product or is it marketingspeak for "cheap" ?

My plans are:
Asus P5LD2
Pentium D 820
Corsair VS1GBKIT533D2

I'm willing to spend more $$$ on the ram if need be but Im not really interested in spending money to get some crazy overclock, just trying to realize a modest overclock on modest components. If I'm on the wrong path, please show me the true value is in the DDR2 market.

Thanks in advance for your replies and for not mentioning AMD in them! :p

Macncheese - Did you end up getting this ram ? If so did you OC it and what are the results? I got the same memory.

Just wanted to know the outcome since I do not have any upgraded cooling yet.

thanks

it just means it is cheap with loose timings. what is it that you are trying to do?

Duonger

Well really nothing at this point. I just finished a system with this memory and since I spent so much money I had to get cheap to mediocre parts in building it. I just wanted to know where this memory stands in the OC'ing world. If its really that cheap I will have to think about upgrading or swapping it out later when I am ready to OC after upgrading cooling.

I run that ram and it's not to bad. I've tried these settings with sucess:

266FSB:

3:4 Ratio @ 2.15 volts (DDRII 667)
-posted fine, seemed stable, havent mem tested yet though
-timings 4-4-4-12

1:1 Ratio @ 1.95v (DDRII 533)
Timings I've tested and stable after 50 passes memtest
4-3-3-8
4-3-3-9
4-3-3-10
4-3-3-11
4-3-3-12 and so on