• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FSB overclock on epox mb+amd64 939

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

siresword

im kinda new to overclocking . so . a bit of nubbishness
I read the amd 64 101 sticky and some of the others and searched the forums for FSB overclocking.
the problem i have is that most of the threads people can directly change their fsb clock settings .. i can only change the multiplier :( .
so . system info and then just suggestions if you guys can help

amd 64 939 3200+ lol no oc but vcore is +1 volt cuz my mb undervolts
epox 9NDA3J nforce3 ultra
geforce 6800 128mb agp
768mb ram pc3200/400 <---lol they're the same thing right?
uhh and i forogt i have a sexy cpu cooler
gigabyte PCU-31Vh its huge and awesum. and i idle at ~40C

anyway default settings are "2.01 ghz" no oc and 10x cpu multiplier
i overclock with the bios . uhh agp is set at 66mhz
i want to oc the the FSB but all i can do with the bios is change the multi .. it goes from 1-5x and its currently set on ' auto '

should i just change the multi or is there a way to directly change the fsb speed?

No, you can't change the multi as it is locked. Leave the agp at 66 to lock the agp/pci bus. You need to raise the fsb, but I am not familiar with your bios. It may be labeled htt (not the htt nulti). I tried to download your manual but the file was unavailable. You may want to post this at the Epox board if no one can help you here. Good luck.

It may be called something else.

what settings do you have available?

It may be that it does not have FSB available. If not, there are three possible options:
#1. Find an updated or hacked BIOs that has fsb change support
#2. Use a software overclocking utility
#3. Sell that board and get a DFI board (which is what you really want for overclocking the athlon 64)

1. thanks

okay so so :
the htt multiplier option in my bios has 6 settings : 1-5x and auto. its on auto because i don't know if i want to increase or decrease the multi :(
i have cpu-z and i checked, my HTT is set at 200mhz
so so ... do i change the htt with software? i have another program i saw it on the amd64 overclocking 1on1 thread.. clockgen .. it can directly raise the htt but im afraid
i tried it once.. raised mine from the 2009 to 2100 and my system froze
should i try something like that or is there another program? is raising the htt going to do anything?
also uhh i read that the fsb:memory ratio is important too? mine is 1/0 does that need to be changed too?

... sorry for all these saddening questions
and thanks a lot

oh and uhh about the lanparty - when i build myself another new comp im gonna get nforce 4 sli. but i don't want to upgrade just the mb.. i think i'll build a new comp but id like to get this one running nicely if i can and i dont have too much $$ :D

thats how i did it previously
mine doesn't have a memory speed option :(
anyway.. i used to do that 50mhz oc ... it wasn't performing any better (using cs 1.6 and css as benchmarks) i didn't get any noticeable fps changes in source and i heard making the fsb faster is a much better idea
also my multiplier will only go from 5-10x :bang head

download the manual from epox it has screenshots and will help you. update bios there should be a new one or one soon that will support x2 processors. this board is a great board you need to become more familiar with it! :) your 3200 has a default 10x ratio you cant go higher only lower! :cool:http://www.epox.com/USA/article.asp?ID=1866

Last edited:
my manual is just like that
anyway i have overclocked it previously like that before.. but the system wouldn't do a 90mhz oc and 50mhz doesn't really bring me any performance gains ..
would lowering the cpu multiplier help?

noo i overclocked my cpu 5x10 = 50 mhz .. but anyway it was just the cpu and not the fsb ... i want to change the fsb because my comp didn't like cpu oc of just 90mhz :(

is it a good idea to just increase the cpu speed and not the fsb ?

Last edited:
sorry to double post . a few questions :

1. is it any good to 'overclock' by just upping the cpu clock? (i dont think this is real overclocking :p thats not the only thing im supposed to do right...)
if i am supposed to just increase the cpu clock speed then why does the mb not let me increase the cpu clock 100 mhz? if i do the system will boot but the motherboard reverts the cpu to 'safe mode'
2. shouldn't the fsb (or htt on a64s) be raised? how can you do this if the bios doesn't support it ? i can only change the multiplier

siresword said:
sorry to double post . a few questions :

1. is it any good to 'overclock' by just upping the cpu clock? (i dont think this is real overclocking :p thats not the only thing im supposed to do right...)
if i am supposed to just increase the cpu clock speed then why does the mb not let me increase the cpu clock 100 mhz? if i do the system will boot but the motherboard reverts the cpu to 'safe mode'
2. shouldn't the fsb (or htt on a64s) be raised? how can you do this if the bios doesn't support it ? i can only change the multiplier
I just looked over that manual that was linked above. It is not the manual for your board which is an nf3 but rather it's for the nf4. I suppose some of the terms in the bios are the same so it's still helpful.
Yes, overclocking you cpu frequency will do exactly what needsz to be done to overclock. If it is not working it may be because you need to lower your ht multiplier in your advanced chipset section of the bios. There is an auto setting and you can set it manualy from 1x to 5x. You want to set it to 4x for now. (This multi is multiplied by your cpu speed can't be more than 1000 so for now changing it to 4x will work fine all the way up to 250fsb) This setting may explain why your system would not run at 2100mhz.
I think it would be wise to do a little reading on A64 overclocking to get more familiar with how it works. You don't want to mess up your system. This link should be helpful.
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=364223
Good luck.

ah . okay thanks a lot !
okay last question. i promise.
safe operating temperature on air cooling with a nice big fan (that uhh gigabyte PCU-31Vh it goes up to about 4600rpm + artic thiLvor5) for say 100mhz oc is ... ~45c? <--- thats with some load not complete idling
anyway thanks a lot and i'll go check that guide out - its huge.

siresword said:
ah . okay thanks a lot !
okay last question. i promise.
safe operating temperature on air cooling with a nice big fan (that uhh gigabyte PCU-31Vh it goes up to about 4600rpm + artic thiLvor5) for say 100mhz oc is ... ~45c? <--- thats with some load not complete idling
anyway thanks a lot and i'll go check that guide out - its huge.
As long as you don't raise your voltage your temps should be fine. A safe temp kind of depends who you speak to. I try to keep it to 50c or less at load. You really are not going to hurt it or cause instability even up to 55c. under load. Also, there is no question limit around here so don't worry about asking. Good luck and happy reading. :)

yAYY i tried it it works great at 100 mhz oc .. not even a temp change but under load its like 46c =/ . anyway works great thanks a lot . and i'll try more after reading more :d

rseven said:
It sounds like you are on your way. Good luck with it.

well ive been playing with it for a while . i settled on 200mhz overclock for now.. 250 it worked and then windows just restarted when i used windows media player. 200 is okay, played cs 1.6 with my same solid 100 fps and source with 60-90 fps, i used super pi but my times are bad so im not posting :p
anyway i accidentally set it to 400 mhz(in bios) and the cpu went to safe mode (... phew ...) anyway. i wonder if i change ht multiplier to 3x can i got to 400mhz overclock ? (this is theoretical im not sure i if i wanna do that .. =/ )
by lowering the htt multiplier do i sacrifice anything?

No, you won't sacrafice much, if anything at all, but I don't think it will make a big difference on the overclock either. It can't hurt to try.
I just noticed that you have an odd amount of ram. Do you have a stick of 512 and a stick of 256? If so do you have it in the right slots for singlle channel operation? Your "weirdo ram" could be holding you back. Also. what kind of power supply do you have?

.. :d yeah uhh i do have a 512 stick and a 256 stick :p
both are pc3200 uhh. the 512 stick is ' gigaram ' and it has a heatsink. the other stick uhh. . i forgot cpu-z says its from 'Nanya technology' and its 256.
my case has a 500watt psu uhh.. and i put the ram in slots 1 and 3 (beacuse they dun work in one and two... .. .i wish i knew more about memory but i dun..)

Okay, you have them in the correct slots for single channel operation. It's certainly not the best ram on the planet, but you knew that. Your psu sounds okay but 500 watts in brand X can still be problematic when overclocking. Hey, we all learned like this. You should see some of the junk that I bought.

Back