• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Suggestions on overclocking my Ryzen 5 3600 CPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ted Cruzumaki

Specs:

Asus TUF Gaming x570-Plus motherboard
Ryzen 5 3600 3.95ghz
Be quiet! Dark rock 4 CPU cooler
Gskill trident z neo 3600mhz
Gtx 1060 6gb GPU

Hey guys I'm pretty new here and I wish you all a warm greetings.
So to start off I've recently just gotten into overclocking to see if I can boost my PC's specifications and I have successfully gotten my memory up to my desired 3600mhz from 3200mhz but I didn't have that much luck on the CPU and I tried to enable DOCP, change the CPU voltages up to 1.40V and below with an off set voltage up to 1.175V, and finally tried to change performance boost to level 3 (OC) with no change at all. It has consistently bounced back to 3.95~ Ghz, please give me your suggestions below for this newbie, thanks.

Ps: I have already updated to the latest BIOS version.

When you stress test, what are your max CPU temps? I would not fools with offset voltages. Just use override, at least until you find what is the total core voltage you will need to be stable. Probably somewhere between 1.475 and 1.5 to achieve max overclock on air. This is assuming your cooling can handle that.

Download and install HWInfo64 to check temps and max voltages. Have you made any adjustments to Load Line Calibration?

When you stress test, what are your max CPU temps? I would not fools with offset voltages. Just use override, at least until you find what is the total core voltage you will need to be stable. Probably somewhere between 1.475 and 1.5 to achieve max overclock on air. This is assuming your cooling can handle that.

Download and install HWInfo64 to check temps and max voltages. Have you made any adjustments to Load Line Calibration?

I stress tested with cinebench r20 with confirmed 100% utilization and i used my on board asus program to tell me the cpu temps. it maxed out at 71C and idled at 42C. I have only changed the cpu and soc power consumption options to optimized and left load line calibration at auto.

You will need to add more voltage to the CPU to make it go faster than 3.95 ghz. Looks like you have the room temperature wise to do that.

If you download and install HWInfo64 it will show you much more information about what is going on with voltages and temps in your system.

Also, CB r20 is okay for a quick stress test to get a rough idea of the overclock's stability but you would need to do a longer stress test say with Realbench, OCCT or AIDA 64 Extreme to be sure of your overclock's stability.

And like I said earlier, you should use "override" instead of "offset" to dial in your voltage.

Are you trying for a 24/7 overclock or just for fun to see what you can get? Are you looking to set an overclock or utilize the stock boosting behavior of the CPU? Sustained voltages even in the 1.35v area have been showing some degraded silicone (meaning that sometime in the future you cannot maintain the same clock at the same voltages, either clocks go down or voltage goes up). We see the CPU boosting itself to much higher voltages, but it's also not doing so at higher loads or for a sustained period of time.

I'm a little confused about some of the things you say you've tried. DOCP is for memory on AMD. What do you mean by an "off set voltage up to 1.175V?" I use an off set voltage of -0.05v for my Zen+ CPU, using the stock precision boost algorithm (PBO is also enabled but I don't know if it does anything). The performance boost setting is an implementation of precision boost overdrive (PBO).

Are you trying to set a specific clock speed, or just adjust the voltage/other settings in order to get it to boost higher?

On this CPU max boost is temperature limited, so the precision boost settings like performance boost that adjust power levels are unlikely to impact your boost. When you say its only hitting 3.95GHz is that in something like Cinebench, or in a single core workload? 4.2GHz is a single core boost. If you want to run 4.2GHz for an all core load, you'll need to manually set clock speed and voltage in the BIOS.

Are you trying for a 24/7 overclock or just for fun to see what you can get? Are you looking to set an overclock or utilize the stock boosting behavior of the CPU? Sustained voltages even in the 1.35v area have been showing some degraded silicone (meaning that sometime in the future you cannot maintain the same clock at the same voltages, either clocks go down or voltage goes up). We see the CPU boosting itself to much higher voltages, but it's also not doing so at higher loads or for a sustained period of time.

I'm a little confused about some of the things you say you've tried. DOCP is for memory on AMD. What do you mean by an "off set voltage up to 1.175V?" I use an off set voltage of -0.05v for my Zen+ CPU, using the stock precision boost algorithm (PBO is also enabled but I don't know if it does anything). The performance boost setting is an implementation of precision boost overdrive (PBO).

Are you trying to set a specific clock speed, or just adjust the voltage/other settings in order to get it to boost higher?

On this CPU max boost is temperature limited, so the precision boost settings like performance boost that adjust power levels are unlikely to impact your boost. When you say its only hitting 3.95GHz is that in something like Cinebench, or in a single core workload? 4.2GHz is a single core boost. If you want to run 4.2GHz for an all core load, you'll need to manually set clock speed and voltage in the BIOS.

Im trying to get a stable clock to game with. Im looking for a stable 4.2ghz on my cpu and ive heard 1.4v is max voltage for that kind of speed so around 1.375 is what i tried but didnt work. Yes, i set DOCP for my memory because i started overclocking it and you are right, it is for memory. I made a mistake by listing "off set" incorrectly as the SOC voltage in bios. I wanted to get a CPU voltage of 1.357v and my soc voltage to 1.175 as I heard from searching around. also i dont use PBO because I heard it limits your CPU overclock by dynamically reducing your clock speed during work loads and overall decreasing performance. I used higher voltages to get a higher clock speed because it doesnt run stable at 4.2ghz. I want to get 4.2ghz on all cores and as ive mentioned, i manually set the voltages in BIOS

You will need to add more voltage to the CPU to make it go faster than 3.95 ghz. Looks like you have the room temperature wise to do that.

If you download and install HWInfo64 it will show you much more information about what is going on with voltages and temps in your system.

Also, CB r20 is okay for a quick stress test to get a rough idea of the overclock's stability but you would need to do a longer stress test say with Realbench, OCCT or AIDA 64 Extreme to be sure of your overclock's stability.

And like I said earlier, you should use "override" instead of "offset" to dial in your voltage.

I downloaded hwinfo64 and i will be using realbench or others soon but i made a mistake by saying offset instead of saying CPU voltage or SOC voltage. my desired cpu voltage is 1.357v and my soc voltage is 1.175v and i have been trying to manually increasing the voltage in BIOS but it always reverted to a lower voltage than desire even when going as high as 1.4v for my cpu.

Yes, for 24/7 the voltages I suggested are too high.

What happens if you leave the voltage on Auto but enter manual values for the multiplier? How far do you get when you start to raise the multiplier in 1x increments? This strategy would automatically do away with Turbo frequency but should allow you to approach it on all cores. It would also allow the bios and the chip to negotiate core voltage dynamically according to load. So in effect you would be increasing the baseline frequency but doing away with Turbo. Most of these chips will get to within about .2 ghz of the Turbo frequency I think on all cores.

I dont use my pc 24/7 so that wouldnt be much of a problem. what are you suggesting exactly? Id have to check the bios if there is a multiplier for my cpu voltage.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

if you are suggesting that i keep my voltages at auto and not on offset and manually type in 4.2ghz for my cpu frequency option then that didnt work. also i do not see a multiplier for my cpu voltages or performance. the only thing i see is what says something close to a multiplier is an option tab with level 1-3 displayed and i already tried that.

multiplier is the same as the as setting 4.2 GHz. The motherboard or CPU has a clock generator which actually emits a base frequency, say 100MHz usually, the multiplier would be 42x for 4.2GHz. Setting a frequency and setting a multiplier are the same thing.

Problem with auto llc is there is tooooo much vcore droop. By setting llc so the vcore under load stays at what is set or drops maybe 0.01v you can get a higher stable overclock. In my experience testing has made a 100 to 150mhz higher stable overclock by controlling llc. Raising the soc voltage is only desired when overclocking the ram. If your kit is a 3600mhz kit with no overclock or 3200 to 3600 without tightening timings a soc of 1.05v 1.1 is usually more then enough to have a stability, That lower soc voltage on my chips is between 6 to 10c which at the end of the day is an extra 50 to 100mhz overclock depending on cooling. My 3800x is at 4.4ghz at 1.256vcore under load , 1.262 vcore idle, idle temp around 35c and at 48 to 50c gaming, 60to 62 c prime 95 open loop cooling. My dads 3600x on a 5 heatpipe large air cooler with lots of airflow through the case is at 4.3 ghz at 1.312vcore under load. Now going too low on vcore the chip will still run fine for 99 percent of task before hard shut off or errors but performance will actually go down... r15 and r20 are good start for measuring performance increases in your oc. Prime 95 will let you know if you went to low on vcore when threads fail.
At a point to mhz increase will be super small for the amount of vcore increase needed to a stable oc.
Update on your progress please.

Last edited:
Im trying to get a stable clock to game with. Im looking for a stable 4.2ghz on my cpu and ive heard 1.4v is max voltage for that kind of speed so around 1.375 is what i tried but didnt work. Yes, i set DOCP for my memory because i started overclocking it and you are right, it is for memory. I made a mistake by listing "off set" incorrectly as the SOC voltage in bios. I wanted to get a CPU voltage of 1.357v and my soc voltage to 1.175 as I heard from searching around. also i dont use PBO because I heard it limits your CPU overclock by dynamically reducing your clock speed during work loads and overall decreasing performance. I used higher voltages to get a higher clock speed because it doesnt run stable at 4.2ghz. I want to get 4.2ghz on all cores and as ive mentioned, i manually set the voltages in BIOS

Memory tuning is more important than squeezing out a few more MHz from the cpu.

Back