• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

mobo question premium vs. deluxe and sli-dr vs. sli-d vs. ultra-d

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ocing newbie

In an article of Tom's harware they did a comparison of a bunch of sli boards.
http://www.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20050531/index.html They compared the asus sli deluxe and said the chipset voltage was locked, which limited the max fsb, I'm wondering if this is the same in the premium model or will it do a higher fsb. They also compared the dfi sli-dr. I'm thinking about building a new computer for gaming. I have a 3 year old hp pavilion and a 6800nu but can't do max settings on most games. I was going to buy a dfi nforce4 ultra-d but I want to know if I should get the sli-dr if the ultra-d would not get the same max fsb. I need a high fsb because I want to oc a 3000+ venice as high as it can go. To do this I'll probably try using some ocz pc3200 platinum rev. 2 becuase its pretty cheap and a lot of people can get around 300 with low timings, it is tcc5 though so maybe I should get some tccd but I'm not sure. Mostly I'm wondering how the different models of these motherboards will compare and will the more expensive ones have been binned to go faster?

From a pure overclocking stand point the DFI boards should be the same, primarily just different features on the 3. The Ultra-D can also be mod to be sli if you want that capability.

Back