• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need a bit of advice on video/sound cards for HTPC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chaos_Being

I've finally decided to go ahead with my HTPC project- the thing is though, I am used to working with/building PC's with gaming and power use in mind, so this is a new mode of thinking for me.

I have a RCA switch box that allows me to switch between inputs from my VCR, DVD player, or PS2 to display on my tv. (So one yellow video jack and two audio jacks- red and white.) I have one set of connections free on this switchbox, so that's what I plan on connecting my HTPC to. Video of course on the TV, and sound through the TV speakers too (no surround sound setup- yet :p)

I'm thinking about using this for a video card (or something similar): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814121185 It has the RCA video out that I need now, and DVI for use with a future TV. My TV does not have S-video input.

And I'm thinking of using one of these for my sound card simply because its one of the few cards I can find with RCA audio out: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16829121105

I'm wondering if these are good choices or not. I'm guessing that the video card should be adequate, as I'll only be using it for playing movies (I know it would suck in games, though.) I'm tempted to go even cheaper, but I dont' want to lose dx9 compatibility. As for the sound card, i'm a bit more iffy on it. Its more than I need (7.1 surround,) but I can't find anything simpler with RCA outputs, and I suppose I'll be ready for that surround sound system in the future. I'd probably go with something simpler (ie, cheaper) if I could find it though.

For now, I'll probaby just be putting these in one of my old 1ghz or 1.4ghz clunkers I have lying around, but I'll be building a new rig specifically for HTPC use in the near future. I'm thinking a 2+ ghz celeron, 400 or 533 fsb (probably 533, 800 may start to get beyond my "cheap project" plans) would probably do the trick for low $$ investment- or would I really need more power than that for movies/audio? (I'm looking for some feedback from someone who's done this already honestly.) I'm looking to spend something no more than the 500-ish range, so i'm looking for fast enough, not overkill (for a change :p)

Thanks for any advice, in advance.

I have a Gina sound card which is the same kind of card for recording music. The big difference is it has 1/4' phone jack connectors. M-Audio has a good rep and the specs look good. Also, this card has been discontinued. The new models do not have digital inputs and outputs. That is a very cheap price for what you are getting.

Probably not my first choice for a video card. Wouldn't be bad a bad idea to include a card with svideo as an option since its so hard to tell what your future needs would be. I run this card in my HTPC and I like it alot:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=14-102-289&depa=1

It has DVI, svideo, composite video so you are pretty much set from that standpoint.

Here is some reading you may want to do regarding using DVI down the road, which you mentioned. Its not neccesarily cut and dried so its something to consider when shopping for your card:

http://htpcnews.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9263

Actually I have a very similar card already, the pro version of the 9600, in one of my old pc's now. So I don't necessarily *need* to get a card with dvi out or S-video out, as I already have one (actually, I have several cards that would meet those criteria, some are pretty old though.)

My tv has RCA inputs and a coaxial (cable) input, that's it- its about 8 years old. That's why (I think anyways) I'm pretty much stuck trying to use a card with a video RCA out, rather than anything else. Unless there is a way to get S-video to work on a tv like that?

Edit: I did find a website that has s-video to rca adapters. Would using something like that be a better idea (ie, easier, provide a better picture) than a video card that just has RCA-out?

Last edited:
All you need is an S-video to RCA cable. I got one with the mx440 i bought for my htpc / file server. Just goes directly from the 7pin s-video to the yellow RCA phono plug.

I tried a S-video to RCA adapter I got from Best Buy this afternoon- and it wasn't that great.

First I tried it connected to a 9600 pro, and all I got was a black and white rolling image, no matter what I tried.

Then I tried connecting it to my wife's pc with a geforce 6800, and I got a decent picture, except the color was pretty washed out and kept flickering to B&W.

So, I think I'm just going to stick with my initial plan on using a card with RCA output already there, and return this crummy adapter I bought :p

Im running a straight s-video to RCA on mine and the quality does suck lol. Its fine for DVDs and videos, but the desktop is almost unusable. Like you say the colours are all off and messed up.

Ahh, maybe I was expecting too much out of an adapter, hehe. I could have lived with the bland color (it actually didn't look too bad if I cranked the color saturation all the way up on the vid card,) but the flickering to black & white was the killer. It must have been defective.

Anyways, I already have a different video card on its way with RCA-out and the supplies I need for my HTPC, so hopefully it'll be up and running by next week :)

Oh yeah and the desktop is definitely unreadable, i'm going to try setting everything to large icons/large text and see if that helps.

Back