• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

eth0 speed question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Turd Furguson

I am running Gentoo on my Dell Inspiron 8100 laptop.
I recently upgraded to the 2.6.12-4 kernel and noticed I got a speed boost for my network transfers to my old server up from 1.4mb/s. This server has a 100mb network card in it and my ethernet card in my laptop is 100mb capable.

The problem is I can only max out at 2.3mb/s tranfer from my laptop to my server. I have set up my router to utilize 100mb Full Duplex and my server is configured this way also.

What I would like to know is if my eth0 has a set up file to configure the duplexing mode. Is there?

PS=> My server is only 300mhz and is running Windows 2000. In CPU monitor, I barely meet 40% usage so I know I got speed to spare. The only thing I can think of that is holding back the transfers would be HDD speed in my laptop. But it does not make sense as I got a good speed measurement using firewire at a previous time.

However, forcing it may bring the link down. :)

Both sides of the link need to be set to the same:
1) Auto Negotiate
2) Half Duplex
3) Full Duplex

Now that's one hard to diagnose problem (without a good lanmeter) - Duplex Mismatch.

Back