• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1.4 Athlon Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sniper

Registered
I have a 1.4 Athlon retail about to hit my doorstep this afternoon and I started having some major thoughts about my system. I think it is pre-1.4 jitters.

I know with then new 3R bios Abit has, the 1.4 should work just fine. I have never flashed the Bios so any tips would be helpful. (little scared here)
I've read up on it but any tips from successful Abit flashers would be helpful.

I only have a 300W PSU, at the time I built the system, it was more than adequate but will I have problems with the 1.4???
Any experiences with the 1.4 at 300W?

I don't plan on OC'ing it right off the bat due to the retail heatsink and the PSU.

Should I switch my Alpha Pep66 to it?

Should I upgrade my mobo?

I primarily use my system for gaming just to let you know.

I think youll be ok, now BIOS flahes are just a .exe program and areoot mostly - pretty much do it theresleves proggies. And the 300will do it if u dont overclock.

i have a 200watt Generic PS and i have a [email protected] and all is fine at stock vcore. So just be careful

How about

the 1.4 retail fan? Would you suggest I remove it (Doesn't it already come attached?) and put the Pep66 on there? Or just leave it alone.

And basically for the bios flash, I will create a boot floppy, copy the new bios to that, boot to C: prompt, switch to A: then run the .exe file?

I am just pumped to get the 1.4 but nervous at the same time.

my cheap 300W was good up to 1.55GHz, so you shouldn't have too much of a problem there. Don't use the stock fan, however, it's barely adequate at 1.4GHz

Does the Retail come with a fan already attached to the chip or does it come seperate? I've never seen one.

So the Pep66 should be fine on the 1.4?

Do I need to scrape off the current arctic silver I have on the Pep and reapply new Artic Silver?

Back