• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The real problem with water cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lunar_Lamp

The real problem with water cooling is managing to not go insane in the process of setting it up:

"what's all that for?"
"you're doing what!?"
"how on earth does that work?"
"is that dangerous?"
"won't it blow your computer up?"
(repeat similar ad nauseum)

The most immediate problem is however my own imcompentance in getting the wrong sized barb for the t-joint for my t-line :bang head

There is definitely a learning curve, but once you get the hang of it, it is like riding a bicycle.

Hehe, I was talking about people nagging you whilst you are setting it up ;)

Heh, it's even worse if you have a window on your case.

"WOW I can see your insides!!! What's that?"
"Won't the stuff get wet?"

List goes on...

easy solution: Don't have friends come over

more fun solution: Explain in the greatest detail the theory of thermfluids until they go away or stop asking questions.

Only way to keep friends solution: Tell them it looks cool and you love to live life dangerously.

Lol.

The biggest real problem I've had with watercooling is that my coolant is evaporating from somewhere... I had to top it up ever 2 weeks.

"you dont need that water s---" - mom (she dislikes my plastic coffee can res)

Kids at school talking about $15,000 show computers because you can see the insides....No joke they sit and tell eachother about these "show computers" that cost 15 thousand dollars.

"you cant cool your computer with water" - kids at school

Heres a good one as well that does but doesnt fit the subject. One day at lunch some kid that thinks he knows A LOT about computers because he put in his new "card that makes the picture" tells this one kid that he should go buy a new hdd from office max. "its __ gig and 5000 or 7000 or something like that rpm but its the fastest one they make" --quoted from the kid. I asked him do you mean 7200? He then said yea thats it. Being that this kid usually thinks he knows everything I then told him a 7200rpm wasnt the fastest rpm drive around they also have 10k and 15k. He then tried to tell me "no they dont youre lying, my dad builds computers and said they dont have one that fast".

Last edited:
Yeah, I get kids telling me how they have better computers than me and how overclocking and flashing your CPU or GPU will not make a difference. Some guy told me that he put his computer in a refridgerator and it cools extremely well now. That was when I started talking about phase change and peltiers and how a Radiator works. Laughed pretty hard after that.

-1cem4n

I know what you mean. My dad is a constant source of hesitation for me. "You shouldnt overclock your computer. You will burn something out". "PC have not had water cooling since they were made. Why do you need it?" "What happens when it leaks and zaps all your expensive parts?" "You know this is going to kill your computer in the end, right?"

Well all his peptalks has me downright scared to put the thing together. I have 99% of the parts I wanted but the hesitation factor is at the same 99% for fear of killing everything.

JT

My dad doesn't care because if I don't have a computer, I can concentrate on my HOMEWORK!!!! yay....

-1cem4n

Back