• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CS:S problems connecting...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ryufreak

Received fragment out of order: 4/1

What does this mean? I seem to be getting this all the time in my console on CS:S. Then the game i'm playing, the picture freezes like i have a connection error or something. The game has been running smooth for 3 days, and then all of a sudden I really can't seem to play at all, and when I try to refresh the servers, i get "cannot connect to master server to get a list", or something similar to that. I can't refresh the game list inside the game, but i can on steam. I try to connect to the ones steam gives me, and it doesn't even connect to the server. Is it because of my router? Linksys WRT54G flashed with Alchemy-V1.0 firmware. I've had this problem for 2-3 days now, and i'm getting really irritated :( I think I just wasted 50 bucks

Firstly remove the masterservers.vdf in the config folder.
See if that fixes it. At the very least, it should fix the refreshing problem

What router do you have?

I experienced this problem alot on my Linksys BEFSR81 8 port router. Specifically your loosing packets. If you have this router, the 2.45.5 firmware works perfectly and doesnt drop any packets. There are alot of other routers that have the same issue.

Steam Powered Support said:
f you get any of these errors when connecting to Servers:

* Bad Parse in Client Command
* Bad Command Character in Client Mod
* Bad Command Character in Client Command
* CMD_MAXBACKUP HIT
* Host_Error: CL_ParseServerMessage: Illegible server message - svc_bad
* Host_Error: CL_Parse_Version: Server is protocol -######### instead of 47
* Host_Error: DispatchUserMsg: User Msg CZCareer/130 sent too much data (195 bytes), 192 bytes max
* svc_bad Wrote erroneous message to buffer.dat Host_Error: UserMsg: Not Present on Client ###
* Memory Could Not Be Read Error (one cause of this)
* Host error: Cl_Entitynum: #### is an invalid number, Cl_max edicts is ####
* Host error: Bad server message
* Host_Error: CL_ParseServerMessage: Illegible server message - svc_bad

and the most typical symptom is:
Whenever I connect to a (Counter-Strike) server, I get booted after 30 seconds

The #1 cause is the firmware in your router

If the server you are attached to has a router problem, you may also see this error, but in this case it isn't you it's the server. If most servers give you this error, then it's your router. If only ONE server gives you this error, it is likely a problem with that one server. If you have a stand-alone router (that is, one not built into your modem), completely bypass your router and plug directly into your modem and see if you have the disconnect problem then.

Linksys BEFSR11, 41 and 81 routers seem to be causing this a great deal with the latest firmware version available from their website. If you have the BEFSR11 or 41 router, you need to run the 1.45.7 firmware to solve this problem. The current firmware version that Linksys has on their website: (1.45.11) and some older versions (before 1.45.7) of the firmware can cause these same problems. You can download the known good Linksys 1.45.7 firmware for both the BEFSR11 and BEFSR41 V2 routers at:

ftp://ftp.linksys.com/pub/befsr41/befsr_fw_1457.zip

ActionTec DSL Modems, which have no firmware update available, also have this problem and the modem itself needs to be replaced. Please check this thread about Actiontec problems:

http://steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=95274

BEFW11S4
For Linksys BEFW11S4 the 1.44.2 firmware has been reported to be good

Measures required:

1) Disable QoS and uPnP. You need to go into the router and disable UPnP and QoS if it's there, and you should only have TCP/IP checked in the network properties for your Internet connection.
2) Disable Wireless Zero Service (included in Windows XP). You can access these settings in Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services.

=======================
ROUTERS WITH KNOWN ISSUES
=======================
Actiontec DSL Modems
Internal PCI Home DSL Modem (Model # PCI0839-01 )
External USB Home DSL Modem (Model # UD800TP)
USB/Ethernet Home DSL Modem (Model # ED800T)
USB/Ethernet Home DSL Modem (With Routing Capabilities) (Model # R4500U)

Actiontec ADSL Gateways
Wireless-Ready DSL Gateway (Model # R1520SU)
Wireless-Ready DSL Gateway (Model # R1524SU)
Wireless-Ready DSL Gateway (Model # R1520SU)

Actiontec Broadband Routers: Cable/DSL Routers
54 Mbps Wireless Cable/DSL Router (Model # GT704-WR)
Wireless Cable/DSL Router (Model # R3010SUW)
Wireless Cable/DSL Router (Model # R3010UW)
Wireless-Ready Cable/DSL Router (Model # R1020S(U))
Wireless-Ready Cable/DSL Router (Model # R1020S)
Dual Mode Wireless-Ready Cable/DSL Router (Model # R3020QU)

Creative Labs BroadXent 8120 modem (5.0.0.16 17 November 2003)

(Has a table limit where you won't be able to refresh the entire list of servers in the server browser. At ~ 8000 servers the router will go OFFLINE and reboot. Reducing your Steam connection rate might help this problem.)

=======================
KNOWN BAD ROUTER FIRMWARE
=======================
Linksys BEFSR11 and BEFSR41 V2
BAD: Most Firmware Versions before 1.45.7
BAD: Current Firmware 1.45.11, Jun 03 2004 is KNOWN BAD
BAD: Latest Update also: 1.46.00

Linksys BEFSR81 ver.3
BAD: 2.50.2 May 19,2004
BAD: 2.50.5
BAD: 2.54.5

May be Good: 2.43 or 2.45

More information here: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/6891

Take note, in CS 1.6 you drop (which is what they are referring to here). In source you just freeze up for about 2-3 rounds or you get fragments out of order and then you drop.

ps2cho said:
Firstly remove the masterservers.vdf in the config folder.
See if that fixes it. At the very least, it should fix the refreshing problem

No go, same probelm

sicloan said:
What router do you have?

I experienced this problem alot on my Linksys BEFSR81 8 port router. Specifically your loosing packets. If you have this router, the 2.45.5 firmware works perfectly and doesnt drop any packets. There are alot of other routers that have the same issue.

Take note, in CS 1.6 you drop (which is what they are referring to here). In source you just freeze up for about 2-3 rounds or you get fragments out of order and then you drop.

I have a WRT54G, and it didn't have problems before, only now it started happening :shrug:

But I think I figured out, or at least remedy'd it. I connected directly to the router through cat5 (i was on wireless before), and the problem went away. I'm guessing it has something to do with this wireless, or the hurrcanes causing it to send packets wrong :bang head

If it was wireless that adds a whole lot more problems. Should have stated that at the beggining :p but its ok.

Packets get lost on wireless regardless..

Back