• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6800 Ultra Cooling Upgrade?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NinjaZX6R

RAM Junkie
My usual overclock on my 6800 ultra is 450/1200. It has always been stable...until yesterday. Yesterday was probably the hottest day I've gamed on my computer in a while, and coolbits says those settings are not stable anymore. Come night time, they are fine. I think it is cooling :)

The stock cooler is huge, and has a 50 million rpm fan it seems like. So, is there such a thing as an upgrade? It seems like this thing would cool better than an NV silencer to be honest. I don't want to go buy another cooler for a 1c difference. Would using AS5 significantly help? I don't want to risk taking off the cooler if it isn't going to get me better results. Thanks guys for your opinions in advance.

-Collin-

I'd say your first step is to reseat your heatsink with AS5 or Ceramique. From my experience that should net you at least a few degrees. Is it getting enough airflow? Is your case cooling optimal? What model 6800 do you have?

Right now for high-end cooling I like the Stasis line-up. There cheapest cooler is $45 no fan. (uses 80mm fan) But I think they are the best on the market.

crimedog said:
the stock paste on the gpu is good, but the pads on the ram suck. your options are water (best), statis (expensive), or zalman

Water would be expensive as well but STATIS will block you from using SLI, but I'm not sure if it may fit on A8N-SLI boards since they have a wider gap between PCI-E slots than any other mobo.

While on the subject can anyone recommend a good w/c solution for GPU cooling for under $100 and no 80mm rad neither (possibly a dual 120mm)?

I am trying to get better temps on my leadtek 68gt also, It was running stock around 55°, I used AS5 and it dropped it to 52°, Still not happy, So I ordered the Zalman 77cu, I would be pleased if I could get it down into the mid 40's. If anyone is using the Zalman, Are the ramsinks that come with it decent? Any better sinks available for the memory that would still work with the Zalman?

To be honest, I am almost clueless on how to remove the stock heatsink. Also, I saw a thermalright cooler that looked a little better than the zalman. Has anyone seen that?

-Collin-

NinjaZX6R said:
To be honest, I am almost clueless on how to remove the stock heatsink. Also, I saw a thermalright cooler that looked a little better than the zalman. Has anyone seen that?

-Collin-

Its easy as 1 2 3, but removing the fan connector is a *****. They used super glue to make sure that it doesn't disconnect.

Just unscrew the screws on the back with a phillips, and the HSF should just come apart before your eyes. The fan connector is a ***** to take out, I cracked half the fan connecter off / breaking the shell on a copper thing .. yet still works :).

RedDragonXXX said:
Water would be expensive as well but STATIS will block you from using SLI, but I'm not sure if it may fit on A8N-SLI boards since they have a wider gap between PCI-E slots than any other mobo.

While on the subject can anyone recommend a good w/c solution for GPU cooling for under $100 and no 80mm rad neither (possibly a dual 120mm)?

Well for water cooling you can probably find a decent used pump for $35 to $40 if you look hard enough.

For blocks a Dangerden Maze4 is fairly nice but costs $45.
Then you have the Swiftech MC50 for $37 but you need to have a mounting solution or spend the extra $10 for it linkage
Then the Polorflow Acrylic TT for $40 with mounting linkage

For rads pick up a cheap heater core from danger den $30-$35
http://www.dangerdenstore.com/home.php?cat=14

The about $5 for misc hardware.

Of course alot of this comes up for sale at alittle bit better prices in the classifieds. So look there to.

However best case scenario your probalby looking at $110 to $150 for the GPU if you don't have any of the other parts of course its maybe less than $50 if you are already WCing.

Fianlly if you are WCing with these make sure you use ramsinks as these water blocks do not have ram cooling like the stock HS

speed bump said:
Well for water cooling you can probably find a decent used pump for $35 to $40 if you look hard enough.

For blocks a Dangerden Maze4 is fairly nice but costs $45.
Then you have the Swiftech MC50 for $37 but you need to have a mounting solution or spend the extra $10 for it linkage
Then the Polorflow Acrylic TT for $40 with mounting linkage

For rads pick up a cheap heater core from danger den $30-$35
http://www.dangerdenstore.com/home.php?cat=14

The about $5 for misc hardware.

Of course alot of this comes up for sale at alittle bit better prices in the classifieds. So look there to.

However best case scenario your probalby looking at $110 to $150 for the GPU if you don't have any of the other parts of course its maybe less than $50 if you are already WCing.

Fianlly if you are WCing with these make sure you use ramsinks as these water blocks do not have ram cooling like the stock HS

Thanx for the linkage speed bump but I'm just going to go ahead and buy STATIS C5 for now and see how it goes.

NinjaZX6R said:

-Collin-

remove the three screws from the back without springs, these hold on the blower. carefully unclip the fan connector, it's hard but you can get it off without damaging the housing. now remove the 7 screws from the back of the card with springs and the ram sink will fall off with it's horrible thermal pads. now there are four screws with springs on the front holding the gpu heatsink and backplate on. the only thing that'll screw you up is which way to put the gpu heatsink back on, so try and take note of which way it's alligned.

bobmanfoo said:
you could also look into the copper hs replacement that EVGA offer and still keep your warranty

Still keep warranty???? That is what I like to hear! Where can I get one? 5c is good enough for me :)
Crimedog, thanks for the steps on how to remove the stock one.

-Collin-

dont waste money on air if you do get a bigger fan. Go water youll never go back too air

if you do spend money on air get a used p3 CPU all copper HS used cheap and ziptie her down

im with outhouse, air temps just can't compare to water temps... if you have the money to spare.... about $200 for a complete WC loop with cpu and gpu blocks, myOCed x850xtpe with 1.72v running through it(stock is 1.4v) with an OCed cpu in the loop i get 31C idle and 42C load on my video card, i forget the temps when i had an Ultra but WCing it gave me 15C on the core with my old/weak WC setup

Back