• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Getting the most out of NV5 Silencer...?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ziggo0

Well...it is indeed a nice headsink & fan setup, but the fan is so weak...i put my hand in the exhaust and I feel nothing...or barely any air. I'd think with a better fan or more cfm it would be able to achive lower temps thus a higher overclock, wouldnt it?

I've found double lot buckshot is the best way to get the most out of an Arctic Cooling Silencer. ;)

Since the fan isn't really replaceable, you'd have to find a way to graft a blower or such into the unit.

I agree, but how to mount a fan so that airflow is directed across the fins and still exhausted out the back? I was thinking either mounting a squirrel cage type blower in place of the stock fan or creating a duct that mounts on the outside of the case/expansion slot with a fan pulling the air out.

Mustanley said:
I agree, but how to mount a fan so that airflow is directed across the fins and still exhausted out the back? I was thinking either mounting a squirrel cage type blower in place of the stock fan or creating a duct that mounts on the outside of the case/expansion slot with a fan pulling the air out.

I'll be glad to hear your results! What I was thinking is creating a duct...even though the fan on it now pushes air directly through the fins out the back, a high speed high cfm fan (Noise is ZERO concern) ducted to it will create enough air flow and pressure to push alot of air through it despite it not being aero dynamic, although I can angle a piece of carboard where the stock fan is, what you guys think?

I say you get a blower, and then mount it to the side of the sink where the stock fan is, Remove the fan/shroud, and then cover the top of the fins till it reaches the back PCI plate. Then it'll push out air

I removed the plastic cover an drilled a 50mm hole in it toward the back that cooresponds to the fan hole in my Antec slot blower which is mounted in the next available pc slot. It fits snugly against it and exhaust hot air like crazy. It's not very loud either.

rseven said:
I removed the plastic cover an drilled a 50mm hole in it toward the back that cooresponds to the fan hole in my Antec slot blower which is mounted in the next available pc slot. It fits snugly against it and exhaust hot air like crazy. It's not very loud either.

Can you show a picture?

rseven said:
I have a hard time imagining that. I think the only thing that can do justice here is, like zig says, a picture. :)

Two things you can easily do:

1. Run the fan off your PSU instead of the card, but it will be a little louder.
2. Make sure to not have too much negative case pressure. If you do, the NV5 fan will have a hard time exhausting.

rseven, that sounds very interesting!

Well...picture this:

Front Panel Intake: 2x80mm 79cfm fans
Side Panel Intake: 1x80mm 79cfm fan
Rear Exhaust: 1x120mm 91cfm+ fan
Top Panel Exhaust: 1x80mm 79cfm+ fan
CPU Fan: 1x120mm 119cfm fan (blowing at hs)

So...there is more intake then exhaust, which shouldnt create a problem for the NV5 really...at least I think. I was thinking about that too, how much of an improvement do you see with running off of a 3.3/12v+ rail? If its nothing to big...i dont want to hastle through a few spliced wires, you know?

Edit: My computer sounds like a small wind tunnel or weak blender but oh well, my ears cant hear her purr over the speakers!

Okay, this is my first attempt to post a pic so be patient. Also this is like posting a pic of my messy room. I'm the Oscar Madison of computers, not Felix Unger!

Hopefully this works. If not, I'll try it again with verve!
What a wired up mess. Clean that up!

rseven said:

Very nice rseven. For those who need help converting mm to inches, just take the mm number and divide it by 25.4. He has drilled a 2 inch hole on the NV5 plastic cover and place a blower along the side of it to help draw the heat away from video card.

Did you see a drop in temp rseven?

Sniper.nkc said:
Very nice rseven. For those who need help converting mm to inches, just take the mm number and divide it by 25.4. He has drilled a 2 inch hole on the NV5 plastic cover and place a blower along the side of it to help draw the heat away from video card.

Did you see a drop in temp rseven?
Thanks Sniper. I think it works well as it exhausts a lot of heat, but my 9800pro does not have a temp monitor so I can't really varify it.
The size of the hole is an approximation, but yes just about 2 inches in diameter is about right. I didn't use my dramel, as I was scared of brteaking bthe thin plastic though it most likely would have worked. Instead I crudely drilled holes in a circle patter right next to each other then sniped the space between them with a wire cutter. Lastly I filed it all down. It's not really pretty, a dramel would have done a cleaner job, but no one can see it so it hardly matters. (It's kind of like all the crap under my bed)
I first tried it with a more powerful slot blower, but it made a whining noise that was not acceptable so I got this less powerful one and it worked fine. It's a tight fit in there next to my Audigy card but it doesn't seem to be a problem.

You could try removing the fan thats in there (cut it out.. I dunno..) and stick an 80mm (or something around the proper size) onto the hole left empty by the fan. Force the air into it.. To me, it seems that the Silencers are always too restrictive for their own fans.. very little air comes out the back side of the case, but theres tons of turbulence on the "in" side of the fan..

I always figured that a decent flowing 80mm fan either just stuck on that hole or ducted (via adapter, or shelled out fan, or whatever) would be able to properly push all the air through the heatsink.

maybe a thicker fan with good pressure and silence (arctic cooling 80mm blue fans?) would do best... ?

Ziggo I have thought about doing something similar but decided in the long run it wasnt worth it. Unless you are going to water-cool it really isnt worth the effort. You wont really gain much in terms of clocks and the possible damage that might occur off-sets the gain.

As for a fan, perhaps a 70mm would be able to directally mount to the sink itself?

Back