• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

VPU Recover Error on Far Cry**********

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

walnojxb

Okay I've been running my new oc machine for about a week now very stable on all my benchies and games, except one: Far Cry. I've recently started getting vpu recover errors:

VPU Recover has reset your graphics accelerator as it was no longer responding to graphics drivers commands

Oh yeah my oc is:
181*11.5 (2081 MHZ) 362 FSB
2.5,2,2,6 (24hrs memtest stable)
vcore=1.7
vdimm=2.8
chipset=1.7

My temp during the crash was 55c. I am running the game on High Setting. But even at default settings or auto detects I still get random crashes. Also my ati settings are all at defaults.

So I ask: Where should I begin to trblshoot?

Okay I've reset my oc back to stock, and the problem is still there. I guess next I will try to change the setting to medium or lower, and see if that helps.

This is almost certainly a software issue :).

Does the problem occur over and over at a specific point in the game? Have you tried installing the newest Catalyst drivers (The ones that come with your card are almost always outdated :-/)? Is your machine 3Dmark stable (Can it loop the 3DMark2001SE Narture test for a good ~2 hours)?

Are you using Win2K or WinXP? If you are using Win2K, is SP2 or newer installed? If you are using WinXP, is SP1 or SP2 installed?

No it is not at a specific point, it is random and occurs about every 15 min (weird). I first I suspected background applications like diskeeper, but then I remember setting it to manual settings. My current catalyst is 5.6. I have never tried to loop the 3dmark2001se nature test. But I will try it. I am using Winxp w/sp1.

Probably worth a shot - have you tried disablign VPU recover?

Attachments

• VPU.JPG
    VPU.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 602
I had a similar problem in Far Cry, and I think it might have related to my graphics card overheating. The game would freeze, the monitor flicker in a way as if it were going back to desktop and after about 5/10 seconds the game would start playing again.

After I disabled VPU recover, this didn't happen although it would totally crash my system after about 10 mins of play (it was a 30 degree or so day and my CPU was about 55 load in those temps), then I realised that very little air could escape from my case, so I increased my pitiful case outake by increasing the speed of my PSU fan and I was okay after that.

Beautiful game by the way, looks incredible on my system, surprisingly.

Far Cry is still crashing my computer so it can't be temps. Btw I am using Omega 2.6.42 which are based off Cat 5.6 so it can't be an issue just for cat 5.7. Last time I had to hard reset and got this message:

Windows has recovered from a serious error etc and this error code thingy:

BCCode : ea BCP1 : 85D48450 BCP2 : 86732CC8 BCP3 : 86742F00
BCP4 : 00000001 OSVer : 5_1_2600 SP : 2_0 Product : 256_1

Edit: walnojxb, what version of the game are you running? I'm about to see if there is a patch to download.

yeah willkill; that is the exact same problem I am having. The game will freeze, my monitor turns black, then sometimes goes back to desktop, then the game starts playing again. I don't think it is drivers, since I am using 5.6,bknight is using 5.7,and willkill is using Omega 2.6.42. I hope there is a patch, because yes this is a beautiful game and it runs very well on my comp too.

I installed the new cat 5.7s and that started hapenning to me. I never had it happen before the new drivers. It evened happened in Guild Wars and the F@H graphic gui. I didn't have my card oc'ed at the time.

Hibner, I doubt that it's a driver issue:

walnojxb said:
I don't think it is drivers, since I am using 5.6, bknight is using 5.7,and willkill1337 is using Omega 2.6.42.

Having downloaded and installed 130MB of patches:

I have fixed my problem and the game hasn't crashed in about half an hour of playing. I'll let you know if I have anymore problems but walnojxb and hibner, if it is the same problem as mine then updating to version 1.32 should definately help. :cool:

Last edited:
Okay I am downloading the patches too, I wil also post results.

i used to get that vpu recover crap with my 9800pro, For some reason my 9800pro didnt like my ECS mobo, when i got a new mobo it quit doing it.

Only 130mb of patches? hehe.. Try getting the AMD64 bit patches... add about 990mb of additional patches to that already. Runs quite a bit faster too.

Okay I installed all the updates, and I ran it for about 30 min straight. So far so good. Right now I am even trying the Very High settings, seem's to be ok. I will post if anything changes.

willkill1337 said:
Hibner, I doubt that it's a driver issue:

Having downloaded and installed 130MB of patches:

I have fixed my problem and the game hasn't crashed in about half an hour of playing. I'll let you know if I have anymore problems but walnojxb and hibner, if it is the same problem as mine then updating to version 1.32 should definately help. :cool:

u only have to download 1.3 onwards to update from v1.0(fresh install)

ive just done it, set graphics to higest they go, enabled HDR(very good effects if u havent seen them) and it runs soooooo smooth!

Okay everything was going fine. I was playing for about 90 min, then all of a sudden it froze on me. This time no vpu error (because i disabled that) just froze solid. Had to restart machine. Then during restart I got this stupid error:

Microsoft Windows detected a possible device failure. The driver for the device was unable to complete a drawing operation. Please check with the device manufacturer for a driver update. The display driver for RADEON 9800 PRO seems to be responsible for the system instability.

This is card is brand new (retail) from newegg about 1 week ago. No other problems with other games. My system is running at stock.

Oh well, here we go again. Now I'm thinking overheating, but I don't know how to efficiently monitor my video card temps. I have no idea what the temps were when it crashed. Need help!!!!! :bang head

Or can it be my drivers? :bang head

Attachments

• device failure2.bmp
    device failure2.bmp
    23.1 KB · Views: 521
Back