• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Radeon 9200

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

m3pimpin

Hey everyone. Well I am back at flightsimmig again after a while. Still using the same computer though :cry:

Although I just picked up a Radeon 9200 off of a friend. He said it was a 9600pro :roll: LOL!

Well I installed it as it told me to. Here is my sequence of events:

1. First I had to updage my AGP Motherboard/Chipset Drivers and I did so indeed by going to viaarena.com and downloading and installing the Via Hyperion 4 in 1 drivers.

2. Next I uninstalled the graphics drivers and softwar from my current graphics card. A Nvidia 16mb Riva TNT2 :roll:

3. I then restarted the computer and it started in safe mode as expected.

4. Then I shut down my computer, and unplugged all of the wires. I then installed the Radeon 9200 in the AGP slot. Then connecting all of the wires, and turning on the monitor first and then my computer as directed.

5. Then it told me that there was new hardware, etc and it was going to install the standard graphics drivers, in which I believe I cancelled.

6. As I did not have the cd with the drivers on it I went to www.ati.com. Went to the Drivers & Software section, clicked on Windows ME Drivers and Software, clicked on Radeon and downloaded the CATALYST Windows 98 / ME - Driver Download. Installed that, and then restarted my computer. I then went to install FS2k2 opened it up and noticed that it looked like nothing at all changed. I looks exactly the same if not even a little worse then my old Nvidia Riva TNT2 16mb graphics card. I know for a fact this card is way better than my old TNT2 16mb.

In FS2k2 under Fullscreen Device I have Radeon 9200 Series selected. The other option is Radion 9200 Series (\\.\Display1\Unit0)

Under Fullscreen Display Resolution I have it: 800x600x32

and in my Desktop Display Properties i have settings at: High Color (16 bit) 1152by864 pixels.

Please Help I know I have to have installed or did something wrong. It seems as if nothing at all changed. I know this card has to blow my old Nvidia TNT2 16mb away.

Also I would like to show you guys a .bmp screenshot of fs2k2 so you can see how FS looks with the Radeon 9200, but the file exceeds 2.0mb. How do I convert it to a jpeg file with 2.0mb or even lower?

Also I don't know how much memory this 9200 has or if it is a pro, SE, etc. How do I check that?

Please help, I really can't wait to get back at flightsimming. Hoping my flightsimming would be better with a better quality, better crisp textures, and smoother, and I could actually put some scenery addons without making it studder. Please help.

Oh I am running a Windows ME 1.1ghz AMD with 128mb SDRam. I know I am lacking, but I'm 95% sure that even with this card it will make FS way more better. Thanks!

I would suggest you change the desktop color depth on your pc to 32bit. You may need to reinstall the drivers if you can't change the color depth. It may be a good idea to do it anyway. I gave my brother my old 9200, and he can play most games with medium settings. You may need to adjust the settings for the game if you didn't already. It should be under video settings or something like that, and my even be under advanced settings. Just look around and make sure to turn up the in game settings.

Thanks for the suggestions. I turned it up to 32 bit, and advanced all the settings, but still no go. Still looks the same to me, and still studders. I know my processor and ram are lacking very far behind, but I figured i'd see a bit of improvement over my Nvidia TNT2 64mb.

This game is one of the most demanding on a system, if not the Most demanding.

Well I know for a fact that the 9200 is an inprovment over the tnt2. I think you may need some more ram. 128mb is nothing for todays apps. You may just need to save some money and build a new pc. Your current setup probably won't get much better.

SlimDog53185 said:
Well I know for a fact that the 9200 is an inprovment over the tnt2. I think you may need some more ram. 128mb is nothing for todays apps. You may just need to save some money and build a new pc. Your current setup probably won't get much better.

LOL true, I've been noticing that, :D

Back