• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Antec or Fortron

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DarkAlexandr

Registered
I've been told i should probably change which power supply i am going to use in my new computer, but I'm really not sure what i should be looking for. The one i currently have slated for is the Antec TruePowerII Blue 480w. It looked like a nice PSU to me, but i was told to look into the fortron Ax 500w, which also looks quite solid. The Antec has more on the 12v rails but the fortron seems to have a bit more overall. Thoughts?
Thanks in advance!
-DarkAlexandr

they both should be good for you, and i dont know the antec's price
i would go with the fortron, just like everyone's gonna tell you

i was also considering the TPII...but i chose the blue storm over it. ive just heard more solid thinsg about fortron over antec power supplies.

i installed my blue storm 2 days ago, and my rails couldnt be more solid.

12v sits at 12.10v idle, doesnt dip below 11.98 under load
5v sits at 5.00 idle, doesnt dip below 4.96 under load.

all other rails are solid on their marks. also i really liked the sleaving on all the wiring. made it a lot easier to hide some of them in my already small and cramped case:
http://www.daviddougherty.info/images/comp/comp3.jpg

only thing i didnt like about the blue storm was its lack of whoopdiedoos, aka, the blue led fans that the TPII had. although the rear power button does light up ;)

Last edited:
Fortron by Far.

If you want more power, the FSP Group/Sparkle FSP550-60GLN is probably one of the best for $90-$100

I suggest you seach up my posts on the TPII-480 before buying it or the functionally-identical TBII-480. The fans in them are a sad joke, and the supplies heat up tremendously under normal use. Electrically, I feel they are or are nearly the equal of the AX500-A, but are not good enough to operate at that level without the benefit of functional ventilation. I really like my TPII after changing the fan, but of course, you void the warranty in doing so.

Ok so looking at the TPII stories and seeing the roaring commendations for fortron I'm going to have to go with that, or be a traitor to my good judgement. Couldnt find the FSP550-60GLN, is the FSP550-60PLN 550W as good? If you can find me a link for the GLN so i could take a look at it it would be much obliged.
Thanks for the advice!
-DarkAlexandr

DarkAlexandr said:
Couldnt find the FSP550-60GLN

Try - FSP550-60PLG ;)

eWiz has about the best price on it I've seen. The current plan is to grab one myself for my next build, and then swap in a Panaflo M1A to silence it a bit. Toying with the idea of giving the Etasis 560w unit a try though if I can find a source for them in Canada.

Sorry, I did not notice that part number was wrong. The Sparkle he was referring to is the FSP550-PLG, not N. This supply has superior 12V output (36A), and the single rail topology lets you get every last drop of it. Do understand that due to its innordinate power output and modest efficiency it will make quite a bit of heat at high load, but of course, it's really hard to load hard. It uses a rather loud 80mm fan, but this can be changed to a quieter one without voiding the warranty. For the $85 that ewiz.com sells them for, it's a tremendous deal, but isn't for those who have heat production and noise as their primary concern.

For most rigs the AX500-A is a better solution, I only recommend the FSP550-PLG for really heavy 12V-centric loads (as in big clock prescotts, dual core anything, or dual cpu).

Ok. Im decided. AX500-A it is. Getting way too confused with all the letter changing. AX500-A is the only other PSU ive been looking at since the beginning of my debate. Good dual 12v rail power, and a great rep from everyone I've heard. Thanks everyone for your help! The parts get ordered tomorrow! Whee!
-DarkAlexandr

Back