• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Aol?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Compn00b101

Registered
My brother needs to get a dialup connection. Hes got a free AOL cd that hes rdy to to try but ive heard bad things about AOL.

Whats some good 56k providers?

AOL is a perfectly fine ISP. The software it provides is just pure evil.
Avoid AOL at all costs. :p

ps2cho said:
AOL is a perfectly fine ISP. The software it provides is just pure evil.
Avoid AOL at all costs. :p

As a former AOL user (used AOL versions 2.0 - 9.0) it always seemed AOL was a resource hog but I never had any real problems with it. My issue was with the price. They can always argue that they give you alot of content for the price, but if you never use any of that content then it's no use to you.

AOL it seems to me is probaly the easiest ISp out there to get the hang of and use for novices. Thats why so many 1st time users started on AOL and then switched to somthing else later.

Paradoxmaker said:
As a former AOL user (used AOL versions 2.0 - 9.0) it always seemed AOL was a resource hog but I never had any real problems with it. My issue was with the price. They can always argue that they give you alot of content for the price, but if you never use any of that content then it's no use to you.

AOL it seems to me is probaly the easiest ISp out there to get the hang of and use for novices. Thats why so many 1st time users started on AOL and then switched to somthing else later.

couldn't agree anymore, i been from 3.0-9.0 and it was ok for internet novices but for us big boys it's nothing but a waste of money.

I had AOL once (using the free CD thing)

It was ok, but it only connected at something 44kb/s or somthing :shrug: and with a low end system the "browser" really slows your computer down :(

aol... huh? OH AOHELL lmao i see now haha yeah i used from 4.0-9.0(extreme or whatever they call it now) and it was nothing but a big hassle, disconnects were the only thing they were good with, the software was slow and took about 80 megs of ram and 120 pagefile and yeah.. wouldn't recomend it unless its your first isp

Blackmage said:
couldn't agree anymore, i been from 3.0-9.0 and it was ok for internet novices but for us big boys it's nothing but a waste of money.

yeah, to me its kinda a waste of moola. but when they sign my paychecks and will be signing it until the 7th of next month i cannot complain :rolleyes:

(for now)

but with the new versions of aol, its pretty easy to find the issue pretty quick and fix it pretty easily.

but if you do sign up for aol, i would asume you would know how to explore the aol cd. go ahead and explore the aol cd and install a lower version. b/c i HARDLY get calls from like aol 6.0 or even 8.0!

usually its 9.0.....

and plus..... it probably wont matter to you.... BUT the mcafee AV aol gives to you, COVERS THE ENTIRE COMPUTER NOT JUST AOL.

Also (at least a while ago) AOL requires you to use their browser to maintain a connection. I used to play everquest with my friend who had AOL but see AOL requires browser activity every something like half a hour. Not internet activity but browser activity. So every half hour or so my friend would have to alt-tab outa game to just go refresh his browser or something so he wouldn't be disconnected. This was a real pain cause sometimes he would forget. It kinda stinks because I mean it was obvious the internet was being used but just cause he wasn't using the AOL browser at the second he gets disconnected.

TalRW said:
Also (at least a while ago) AOL requires you to use their browser to maintain a connection. I used to play everquest with my friend who had AOL but see AOL requires browser activity every something like half a hour. Not internet activity but browser activity. So every half hour or so my friend would have to alt-tab outa game to just go refresh his browser or something so he wouldn't be disconnected. This was a real pain cause sometimes he would forget. It kinda stinks because I mean it was obvious the internet was being used but just cause he wasn't using the AOL browser at the second he gets disconnected.

Not sure how long ago your talking about but back when I was still on AOL (2 years ago), I could leave my P2P program on all night and it would still be connected in the morning.

actually....

theres supposed to be a timer that lasts 45mins, once the computer goes idle. it starts and after 45mins its supposed to disconnect you.

but of course this isnt a guaranteed thing. it almost happens at random. sometimes my supervisor's aol will be idle for all day long (8hrs) and it'll never disconnect.

Paradoxmaker said:
Not sure how long ago your talking about but back when I was still on AOL (2 years ago), I could leave my P2P program on all night and it would still be connected in the morning.

I will admit this was quite a while ago, back when I was still playing everquest

Avoid AOL, like everyone else has said. I actually refuse to provide computer repair service to AOL users due to the problems their software causes.

well.. working at a dialup ISP, i can only reccomend one servie... :D but really. we lease our connections from qwest, and we actually share acces numbers with aol and netzero for this area, caus apparently they lease them as well. i say find a local one, you'll get the best service there. If you're connecting slow, you can try to replace old wiring from the telco box outside to the computer, ive heard of people usig cat5 for less loss, but after it leaves that box theres not much you can do. we have alot of customers out in the country that have terrible phone lines, and they get audible static and noise when talking on the phone (wired, not cordless), and connect at 14.4 or 28.8. but then we have customers in town with good quality phone lines tat can connect at 52 kbps.

I've had bad experiences with Juno. I have, however, had awesome results with PeoplePC. Right now they are offering 3 months for $5.47. You can always cancel after the first 3 months.

actually. for personal experience we used to use netzero here before we got verizon fiber optics and the last month we used netzero the software itself really went south, and it always loaded itself twice on task manager. i could never figure it out...

speeds were ok, considering dialup.

Back