• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Installing HD Problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

will.dikuloz

I just bought a WD Raptor 74GB 10kRPM SATA HD, my motherboard is a K8NE-Deluxe, here's my problem...
I just set it up hooked up whatever needed to be hooked up and boom, all of a sudden I get this error message :
A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your

computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this

screen appears again follow these steps:

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives and or hard drive

controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated.

Run CHKDSK /F to check for drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information:
***Step: 0x0000007B (0xF79F7528, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

can anyone give me some ideas on how to fix this? Thanks.

what bios are running? the newest? the sata support might not be the best if you are running an old one. do you have sata drivers installed?

if not, windows does not know what to do and craps out. obviously the controller is on, so if you have the drivers installed, disconnect the drive, load windows and install the drivers. let windows load, then shut down and connect the drive. should work.

if you already have the drivers installed. bios might be the culprit.

hard drive is a fresh one, my old one is completely corrupted, cant even format the damn thing, anyways, I've just updated the drivers via Asus website and I still get the same problem, is it because I am plugging it into the wrong sockets? Theres a SATA1 and a SATA2 plug in the motherboard, I directly connected the SATA1 socket into the HD and the other 2 power sockets into their power sources.

by the way, the BIOS picks up the harddrive and I tried going into MS-DOS to format it and it wouldnt pick up any of the drive letters.

i am sure the bios picks up, check asus for a bios update for better sata support. it looks like 1006 fixed a sata detection problem. so i would say if you arent running that one you might want to update.

I am running the latest Beta version, should I got a version lower so I can stick with a final version?

same problem, I think the hard drive is corrupted, would formatting it solve the problem?

I've got it! I used WD's LifeGuard 1.1 and now it formatted it, it had a previous windows XP install that somehow screwed up, but now it gives me this error message saying NTDLR is missing, did a search and it came up about the boot file which can be fixed with a re-install , hey atleast it's a milestone on where I was stuck at. Thanks for your help and hope that I make it

Back