• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Basic file server

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pwnt by pat

I'm going to be setting up a basic file server with winxp-MCE for viewing movies/music on our main tv. The movies, music, installers, isos, etc will all be shared across the network. I've chosen SMP for this because:

1) It's cool
2) I have a mobo and ram for it
3) It's a slot 1 mobo so processors are cheap

I don't remember the manufactuer of my board but I'll be running dual 700mhz p3s. For storage I have two Seagate 7200.2 160's, one Maxtor DM9 160, and a Maxtor DM9 60. All the drives are ata which will be on a controller running on the 64-bit pci channels. I also have several onboard scsi options but it's too expensive. I also already have the drives so SATA isn't an option unless someone wants to trade me straight up gb for gb and will ship first so I can ghost my drive... ahem.

For my media center fun I have a 6800nu... Tv out options rock and yes, it's overkill but its sitting on my dresser not doing anything.

Anyway, I'll be running the server and all computers on a 10/100/1000 switch. The cable modem will be fed into the server and the server will distribute IP addresses across the switch.

All of this will be going into a Chenming "dragon" case and like I said, the cable modem and switch will be modded into the case.

How what kind of problems could I run into besides the whole defunct parts? Comments, suggestions?

Personally, Id leave the modem and switch out of the case. I've had so many problems with eletcrical infernce with my modem. It would aways dissconnect me and id have to go and reset it. Recently I built a cabnet and sit the modem and router down in the basment, away from all the jarbles of cables behind my comp. Hadent had a dissconnect in a week. Its also much cooler in the basment, so that could be helping things a little too with rebility

I read somewhere that MCE can't join a domain if that's a concern. I could be wrong but thought I'd throw that in.

Yeah but it's laying around and it's a free s-video out for media applications on our 40somthing tv. That's what the nvsilencers are for anyway.

Back