• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OnBoard PSU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
There is no such thing as an onboard PSU, unless you are using a micro board of some sort AFAIK. PSU is the power supply, it is seperate from the motherboard in normal systems.

ShadowPho said:
Cant you plug in the power cord directly into the mobo :D ?
Yeah just grab a power cord with bare wire ends and plug it to your mobo but this is only after you spend $$$ amount on your system. This is only funny idea to fry a system.

It's simple power supplies break in time, and they are very easy to exchange. Nobody makes motherboard with psu.

I seem to remember some MicroBTX board or something that had a power connector right on the motherboard but I can't remember the specifics.

meionm said:
Yeah just grab a power cord with bare wire ends and plug it to your mobo but this is only after you spend $$$ amount on your system. This is only funny idea to fry a system.

It's simple power supplies break in time, and they are very easy to exchange. Nobody makes motherboard with psu.

Think "thin client"...

There are motherboards with built in PSU's... Their output is very low, and its made for micro boards. Refer to the following links:

http://www.epiacenter.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=33
http://www.techseekers.net/modules.php?name=Reviews&rop=showcontent&id=76&page=2

Granted, I don't think that was what this person is looking for, but it is out there... Just not in the form of what this guy is looking for.

Interesting idea but if you have any luck like mine you usually have to replace the PSU at least once maybe twice in your computers lifetime. Of course that totally depends if you run your computer into the ground or not. :) Onboard PSUs would not be practical for that reason.

JT

If you pick a PSU that has sufficient power for the job and is made by a quality manufacturer you should typically not need to replace it multiple times in the lifespan of your computer. In fact your PSU should outlive the usefulness of the components it is powering (ie the parts are obsolete before the psu dies). Typically when I rebuild machines I can just move my PSU from one to the next. If your voltage levels are sagging or your PSU is putting out a ton of hot air then thats probably the cause of your PSU's shortened lifespan.

While that's all true, I don't want my power supply integrated onto the motherboard. I'm not saying it's unworkable, just generally not preferrable for the type of users we have here and the priorities they have for their PCs and their usage.

Oh no doubt, I am not a fan of completly integrating parts together I was just trying to save a few poor PSUs from the evil hands of JTanczos hehe.

There is obvious advantages to some of the things we see integrated onto the motherboard these days as there are performance gains and other advantages to having native support for some technologies instead of going through the pci bus, but as a whole it can really hamstring the enthusiast crowd. Same goes for all kinds of consumer electronics. I don't want my surround sound processor, dvd player and tv all in 1 unit, thank you very much!

Can I interest you in a TV with a built in VCR? I just inherited one that will be working for at least another 15 minutes, maybe longer ;)

Deathknight said:
Oh no doubt, I am not a fan of completly integrating parts together I was just trying to save a few poor PSUs from the evil hands of JTanczos hehe.

Come on now. That was before I knew there was specific brands to stay away from! Quality is the key word you used above. I had a few no name brands in previous computers. Now every computer has at least an Antec PSU. Newer computers are getting either Fortron or OCZ.

[/threadjack]

JT

Back