• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm ready to throw my HDD to the trash...unless...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

guillaume

Wel it's a 2001 30 Gb Deskstar that won't initialize (constant clicking sound, not seen in the bios). My guess is that it's done for, but then again I've seen pretty amazing things happen in the forum, so I thought I'd ask the experts before throwing it away. Anything I coudl do to revive it long enought o backup some of the data? Thanks!

put it in a sealed back, get all the air out that you can, and freeze it for about a day. That will help sometimes, but once you go to put it back in, do everything QUICKLY. Be fully prepared before you start.

Midnight Dream said:
put it in a sealed back, get all the air out that you can, and freeze it for about a day. That will help sometimes, but once you go to put it back in, do everything QUICKLY. Be fully prepared before you start.

I have heard of this as well. Usualy the drive will work for a few minutes before re-dieing.

Wow...this should be intresting. I never thought of freezing it...kinda like austin powers being frozen and then given life again after a few years except this is with a hard drive and its a few minutes heeheheh

~ken

there's a 200 page hdd revival guide somewhere on the 'net, that i've run across a few times here & there.

G/L with it.

:cool:

Back