• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone added a powerplug to a X800XL?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sshadow

As the topic stated, just wondering if anyone tried adding a powerconnector to their X800XL pcie?
There is a place on the GFX for it, and it would possibly increase the o/c on the card. Anyone tried it? or is it just an AGP fitting?

//Christian

It isn't that simple, there are some caps and resistors there and you need to mimic the original card for it to work. In any case I didn't hear of anyone doing it.

can you et a pic of that area of the card? you might be lucky enough to have the required components in place except just the plug on the board, but you're probably not that lucky. it's worth a look tho, right?

Righty... Will unhook the card tomorrow and shot some pics of it.
Have to check my idecontroller so. :D

//Christian

JakeCourtney said:
Just don't bother overclocking the X800 XL, its not worth it.

That's HERESY at ocforums! j/k

The pci-e slot provides a lot more power than an agp can. Also remember that the smaller process the x800xl core is based on uses a lot less electricity than the X850 cores which have a similar pcb.

apu318 said:
This has been tossed around before and the conclusion was that of what Flip-Mode stated. It won't work.

I figured that ever manufacturer is different, and some may have included it in their design then decided to pull it at the last minute and left in all of the circuit connecting the plug to the card, and just left off the plug itself. i figured that a pic would be worth a few mins to see.

Back