• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

computer for about 300$

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ccphil55

I am starting a dj business, i would like to make a comptuer strictly for running music. I am open to all suggestions, but would like to go down the amd 64 socket 939 road because that is what my main rig is. I have $300 to spend as i said above, and don't need a super expensive sound card. I have a case and cd/dvd burner drive. I would need everything else. Is this possible? If not how close can i get?

not possible unless you bought Pentium 66mhz cpu..... nevermind, you can't. With that amount, you could get a cheap dell although I'd save up to about 600 at least.

-1cem4n

It is possible, I built one for someone that came to 280 from Newegg.

Off the top of my head it was something like:

Celeron (775) 2.66
Cheapest MB w/on board video
Cheapest 256 MB memory
Cheapest 80GB HD
Cheapest CDRW
Cheap case w/ power supply

m3x1c4nj3w said:
Dude, you're getting a Dell

I still say build your own. I looked on dell and found this as their cheapest desktop:

Dimension 3000
Essential Technology on a Budget
Intel® Celeron® D Processor 330 (2.66GHz, 533 FSB)

Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition

512MB DDR SDRAM at 400MHz

80GB2 Ultra ATA/100 7200RPM Hard Drive

Single Drive: 16X CD/DVD burner (DVD+/-RW) w/double layer write capability

FREE Dell Printer or Upgrade to a Photo All-in-One for as low as $30!

Same CPU and HD but has a DVDRW and 256 MB more memory for $250 more than the above system. It's $550 AFTER 100 MIR so it's $650

$300? Yes, it is, but s939 is asking too much. The board and processor alone would bring you to $250 easy.

When you say "running music" on your computer do you mean simply playing it, or composing and editing on it?

In any event, the only way you can go is used, and probably 32-bit, and you can easily make one and still be under budget.

This is what I would do (prices from Newegg.com):
Sempron64 2600+: $63
Gigabyte MATX s754 Onboard Vid: $63
512mb Corsair Value: $50
Seagate Barracuda 250gb: $120
Comes out to just under $300. I put the large drive in because I figured you might want the space for storing music. Not too bad, IMO.

Back