• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

16 MB Cache Question.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Actually, the Maxtor Diamond Max 10 200 and 250 giggers are the cheapest SATA drives at Newegg.

The extra cache does make a difference. Shot of my Maxline III vs my Seagate 7200.8

HardDriveBench.jpg

Yes, I believe the more recent Maxtors have been much better as far as quality control is concerned.

Stavros said:
Does the increased cache really affect load times? Is the price increase worth the extra Cache?

The extra cache has little effect on real world performance. Platter density is pretty much the only thing that dramatically effects speed.

The reason is that the cache is simply too small to have a dramatic effect. 16 MB isn't much space, and its not much of a buffer. It may be twice the amount of 8MB, but even 8MB was a very minor improvement over 2 MB.

As far as QC, people have trouble with all sorts of drives.. failure among hard drives is common. You won't really know which models have problems and which ones won't until its too late. It's always good measure to buy a hard drive cooler if your data matters. I've epxerienced far fewer failures with HD coolers...

nicknomo said:
The extra cache has little effect on real world performance. Platter density is pretty much the only thing that dramatically effects speed.

The reason is that the cache is simply too small to have a dramatic effect. 16 MB isn't much space, and its not much of a buffer. It may be twice the amount of 8MB, but even 8MB was a very minor improvement over 2 MB.

As far as QC, people have trouble with all sorts of drives.. failure among hard drives is common. You won't really know which models have problems and which ones won't until its too late. It's always good measure to buy a hard drive cooler if your data matters. I've epxerienced far fewer failures with HD coolers...

well, not just platter density, also platter speed ;)

all my drives are maxtor, the oldest one is more than 3 years, nothing happen yet, i do abuse my drive alot though :)

shard said:
well, not just platter density, also platter speed ;)

Of course, but considering the raptor is the only 10k IDE drive, and it is a bit slower than the newest SATA drives... It's a moot point...

Back