• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I changed my timings...a little

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gig-O-Ram

I have heard some stuff around here about memory timings, and I decided to try tweaking mine. I did one tweak that worked just fine, and another that...didn't. :bang head By the way, I did read quite a bit of the sticky on memory basics, so you know I'm not just coming out of left field with this.

I changed the timings from a 2.5-3-3-8 to 2.5-3-3-7, and that seems to work just fine and gives and overall (slight) increase in performance.

I tried setting it to 2-3-3-7 and I was then left wondering if I'd need to get a new computer, because upon exiting BIOS, I was left staring at a blank monitor going through its test mode. I thought I fried the system. Fortunately, after several minutes I got the boot screen that told me that all timings had been reset to the default values. I then tried a setting of 2.5-3-3-6 (or maybe it was 2-2-6) and the same disappointing thing happened.

So, I'm leaving it at 2.5-3-3-7 for now, because it seems to work with everything ok (internet, games, etc.)

Anyone have any thoughts on why I got the (nearly) disasterous results with the lower settings? I'm new to this whole memory timings thing, so please forgive my ignorance.

either the ram dosent like the setting or the ram needs more voltage...

whats the mem voltage at now???? i have to run my rav V @ 3.0 to run 2.5-7-3-4 with this Adata DDR500 @ 260fsb... 1x1...

Last edited:
I was looking in Everest right now, cause I thought I could look up what the mem voltage is, but I can't find it. Is there another way to find out what it is?

Edit= Nevermind...I read into Everest a bit more. It says the supported voltage is 3.3V. So I'm guessing it's at 3.3 volts. Does that sound right?

Last edited:
btw, that wasn't a disastrous event... It's what happens when you go too high of an overclock, no POST. Clear CMOS, and then boot up again, and it SHOULD post again (if it doesn't something's screwed).

But anyway, your ram voltage will be set in the bios. Most, if not all boards, don't give a VMem reading from software. I use a multimeter personally, see here:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=406846

Tighter timings means more memory bandwidth/better performance, at least in my experience. The event you experienced was simply to high of an overclock, not enough voltage, the usual. Simply reset your CMOS with the jumper on your board next time and you'll be good to go.

ziggo0 said:
Tighter timings means more memory bandwidth/better performance, at least in my experience. The event you experienced was simply to high of an overclock, not enough voltage, the usual. Simply reset your CMOS with the jumper on your board next time and you'll be good to go.

In order to reset the CMOS, all I need to do is remove the jumper then put it back, right? I've never messed with it, so I have no clue. I barely know what I'm doing when I go into my BIOS. Or do I need to put the jumper in the 2-3 configure mode?

Edit= Also, are there any of the settings I should concentrate on more than others?

Last edited:
Gig-O-Ram said:
In order to reset the CMOS, all I need to do is remove the jumper then put it back, right? I've never messed with it, so I have no clue. I barely know what I'm doing when I go into my BIOS. Or do I need to put the jumper in the 2-3 configure mode?

Edit= Also, are there any of the settings I should concentrate on more than others?

I haven't used an intel board in a while, but if its the same setup as this intel board i have now (intel rebadged as dell), which it seems so (most boards that aren't intel don't have a 2-3 config mode), then remove the jumper for around 20-30 seconds, then place it back to pins 1-2... please READ THE BOARD'S SPECIFICATIONS! It'll have something like:

Normal | 1-2
Config | 2-3
RCRVY | NO JMPER

Thats what my intel board says. My mobo (asus p4p800), is supposed to have it set to 2-3 for around 10-20 seconds, and then you replace back to pins 1-2 and boot up.

but MAKE SURE YOU REPLACE THE JUMPER TO NORMAL BEFORE YOU BOOT UP! If you forget, you might mess up your board's bios.

SolidxSnake said:
I haven't used an intel board in a while, but if its the same setup as this intel board i have now (intel rebadged as dell), which it seems so (most boards that aren't intel don't have a 2-3 config mode), then remove the jumper for around 20-30 seconds, then place it back to pins 1-2... please READ THE BOARD'S SPECIFICATIONS! It'll have something like:

Normal | 1-2
Config | 2-3
RCRVY | NO JMPER

Thats what my intel board says. My mobo (asus p4p800), is supposed to have it set to 2-3 for around 10-20 seconds, and then you replace back to pins 1-2 and boot up.

but MAKE SURE YOU REPLACE THE JUMPER TO NORMAL BEFORE YOU BOOT UP! If you forget, you might mess up your board's bios.

Yeah, that is exactly how my board is set up. I may look at this when I have some time. I think the question I haven't asked is what will resetting the CMOS do? Does it clear any settings I've made or changed?

Gig-O-Ram said:

Yes you have to put it in 2-3 pins for at least 5 seconds and then put it back to 1-2.

Back