• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

reinstalled xandros... NOT AGAIN HELP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jmh547

Ok i hae windows on sata1 and xandros on sata0. i had windows up and running for a week now. now i installed xandros on sata 0 to run dual boot. all went good. got dual boot went to load windows and got error message. missing hal.dll
wtf.... ok so reboot load linux. linux loaded. turn off computer unplug sata0 and boot windows fine. how do i get the dual boot to work?

You edit your boot.ini (hidden file) on the Windows partition. You also might have to reinstall Windows if you can't get it to work this way. If you get the error message you get, then windows has already loaded, and the bootloader isn't the culprit but Windows.

I assume you have installed Windows when SATA1 was the only disk in your comp (also SATA0 then). And now you switched it to 2nd disk and Windows doesn't like this at all.

If you have more questions, use the Windows forum here, since it's not a Linux problem btw.

You shouldn't be disconnecting and connecting drives like that unless you understand very well what is happening. Every time you do that, it changes the drive order. In general, you want to do the following (in order):

1) Connect all your drives in the final configuration you wish to use in your system. Now don't disconnect or change them at all.
2) Install Windoze
3) Install Linux
4) Configure the Linux boot loader to load both OS's.

The problem you are having is not caused by linux, but by windows. Windows hard codes certain information about how to boot in the boot.ini file. As you change hardware around, the drive designations change, making it unbootable. For details on how to fix this, post in the windows forums or google boot.ini.

Back