• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Nothing new, but all new stuff!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Slammin

Going AMD this time.

Lian Li V2100B (man this thing is huge!)
Swiftech Storm
MCP655
PA160 rad double shrouded - push/pull
T-line

Now, I do have the option of running dual 655's, but should I?

No you should not. The setup you bought will work great with one pump. Watercooling is a balance issue between block(s), rad(s) and pump(s). Excelling in just one area will not give you better temps than a well balanced approach. Right now all your parts are able to keep up with each other so I would not spend the money on it. If however you have two 655's already I say go for it however the 1-2 (maybe 3C tops) you would get from this are just not worth the extra money IMHO.

Cool, I see what you are saying.

When I say I have two mcp655's available, the second one is actually in my current rig. I would have to replace this current mcp655 with the replacement mcp350 that Swiftech sent me to replace my bad one. I bought the mcp655 because I did not want downtime, but as it turned out, Swiftech drop shipped the replacement, and that was VERY cool of Swiftech, but I do have an extra pump, none the less.

So really, it would involve me draining my current rig and using my current spare mcp 350, for me to do dual mcp655's, but no matter how you spin it, I DO have an extra pump here doing nothing. But the spare is an mcp350 as it stands right now.

Maybe it's too much work to be worth it.

The only reason I post though is this rig I'm building will have dual 7800GTX and I suspect I may need to w/c them as well. Hopefully not though because I hope I do not need to oc them.

With the heatload of 2x 7800 and a cpu dual pumps is not recommended because a second pump adds more heat and that rad will probably be pretty burdened already. Besides the added restriction is not the main issue, the main issue is the added heat dumped into the loop.

I think what I will most likely wound up doing in the long run is to add another/separate loop with an additional h/c for the gfx cards. I could use the spare pump then.

Man, this whole w/c is so addictive!

It really is satisfying knowing that you are getting more than your $$$'s worth and the fact that my current P-4 3.0 runs daily at 4.1 makes is all worthwhile.

I hope I can get as much mileage out of this AMD chip!

The mcp655's only dump a couple of watts of heat into the loop, 5-10 maybe. I wouldn't hesitate to add a second one if YOU ALREADY HAVE THE PUMP.

I have a single mcp655 pushing through 4 blocks: cooling a 4400x2, (2) 7800s, and the chipset. They are also going through a BIP3 and temps do not exceed 40* on either component. If your blocks are not jet impingement, then one pump should suffice.

edit: I also have another mcp655, and the difference was negligeble. Try one and see how it works. Having a backup in case the pump fails is also a plus.

SewerBeing said:
With the heatload of 2x 7800 and a cpu dual pumps is not recommended because a second pump adds more heat and that rad will probably be pretty burdened already. Besides the added restriction is not the main issue, the main issue is the added heat dumped into the loop.

I would go with the 350 now as he only has one block and limited cooling capacity(a single 120 rad).

If you upgrade to a 3 block system with the SLI setup I would use the 655 or 655x2.

The heat from the pump when using just one CPU might increase the heat load by 18%(15w pump-655 80w cpu) and show little difference in the performance as you have reached a point in the performance curve of the block that is fairly flat. When you start talking about 3 blocks dumping 80w each=240W the pump heat is only 6% for one pump and 12% for two and you can see a benefit from the pumping as the extra blocks slow the flow to a point in the performance curve that starts to affect performance considerably.

Either way you will need more cooling than that rad if you go sli.

http://www.swiftnets.com/assets/images/products/storm/Storm cw vs pd SM.gif

are you using Thermochill PA160 to cool your CPU and 2 x GPU? you should think again and get bigger Rad if you want to do that since Thermochill PA160 is not big enough to cool all those powers, your setup pretty much look like mine

I'm just doing the CPU for now. This case is great too because I have not had to even charge the dremel up :)

I do at some point plan to wc the gpu's and maybe chipset and at that time I will break out the heavy tools, but so far I've only need a screw driver to remove the hard drive rails. Awesome case!

edit: no way to wc the chipset with two gfx cards :-(

Last edited:
Welp, all done! Man, this AMD overclocking is pretty daunting but I have managed to get 2700x10 so far. Temps:

Stock:
CPU idle/load 29c/34c

OC idle/load 37c/43c

Ambient - house thermostat set to 76f, so somewhere around there.

I'm using a 7v adapter on my push/pull fans until my fan controller arrives.

One thing I gotta say about this Lian Li V2100B is that it is really crappy for case airflow. I velcro'd a 120mm in front of the 5 1/4 bays, pointing at the 7800gtx's and velcro'd another 120mm on the divider tray aiming at the ram and chipset fan. I also added a pci slot fan to help get rid of some of the heat. The rear case fan is next to useless and I will be replacing it soon.

I am able to keep both PWM and chipset below 55c and thanks to the sound dampening in this case, it is really quiet.

I'm debating removing the heat spreader and shooting for 2800+ after I fully tweak things!

Back