• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will I even notice a difference?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Posidon42

Right now I am selling a matched 1gb pair of PQI memory that apparently performs quite well at high fsb at 3-4-4-8. However, since I am still using my ancient :rolleyes: Nforce2 chipset (hey I still get 6600 3dmark05 points with this setup) I want to know how much more performance I can expect if I upgrade to a set that will do 2-2-2-x at 200fsb. I have my current memory running at 2-3-3-10 and it seems to be stable.

Since I really can't do much in the way of fsb overclocking with this memory, should I just keep it until I upgrade to A64 sometime next year when the prices are a bit more in my range or should I even bother with trying to get the best memory for my current configuration if this memory seems to be doing ok?

Your expert advise is appreciated. FYI, even though I put this memory up for sale already, I am pondering just keeping it so I don't have to mess with buying more memory...

I would hang onto it, or get something you can use in a future system. Depending on how far in the future you're looking to do a replacement system (as well as what you want to upgrade to), it may end up being DDR2 - leading to yet another memory purchase.

I doubt you're going to see any real world performance that would be worthwhile by dropping down a few latency levels.

Did you try a CPC off bios? You should be able to get a good enough boost in FSB from 200 to make it worth trying.

My understanding is that the memory controller on NF2 has problems with 2x512 double sided memory. Regardless of the exact explanation you can usually achieve a significantly higher FSB with CPC at 2t. 2T gives a performance decrease which can be offset if yoou can raise the bus speed enough. You have to test. I was able to go from sub 210 to 232. You also would want a bios that has the L12 mod built into the tables. here's a link:

http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=323695

Last edited:
I would hang onto it, or get something you can use in a future system. Depending on how far in the future you're looking to do a replacement system (as well as what you want to upgrade to), it may end up being DDR2 - leading to yet another memory purchase.

I doubt you're going to see any real world performance that would be worthwhile by dropping down a few latency levels.
This is exactly right. I really doubt you'll see much of a gain by getting some low-latency memory. What you have should work just fine.

rbwilton seems to have some good ideas for getting a little more out of the memory you have. A CPC off BIOS can help a lot with that type of memory. There are also a lot of good threads about the NF7-S that are buried in the forums somewhere. Try a CPC off BIOS and lower your chipset voltage to 1.5v, and see where that takes you.

Back