• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with decision on 2 x 1GB dual channel kit.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jon

Just Another Retired Moderator
Well, I just sent my 2 X 1GB Patriot Signature Line (PSD1G400) modules back to Newegg since I decided to go with the X2 3800+...I figure I'd make up the difference from the 4400+ by improving my memory a bit. I was really getting uneasy about the ability to overclock and run that stuff in dual channel anyway.

I'm still not going after any insane overclocking though, so I'm still wanting to keep the price fairly reasonable on the memory. It's sort of come down between two kits I'm interesed in. The OCZ 2GB dual channel kit OCZ4002048ELDCPE-K and the Patriot 2GB dual channel kit PDC2G3200LLK. Price and timings are pretty much identical between Newegg and ZZF. The OCZ also has a rebate, but I won't be able to get it in, so it doesn't really matter there.

So, tell me which, because I honestly don't know. I'll take other suggestions as well, but keep in mind, this is really the upper limit I want to spend on (but I will go lower, lol).

Last edited:
Those two are decent sticks but don't be fooled by the those tight timings. These would be good if you were to run them on stock since they don't OC very much. However some of the Patriot 1GB sticks have been reported to be using CE-6 chips that OC fairly well with decent timings but it's not guaranteed.

If I were you I would look into the Crucial Value 1GB sticks which would be much better then these and they would cost you less. Micron chips are the best so far in 1GB's and Crucial are the only ones that are using them. But be beware, it has been reported that Crucial started using Samsung UCCC's on these sticks which are not that good so you would be taking a gamble. Ultimately Crucial Balistix would be the best that you can get but they cost around $300+ fro 2GB kit.

Also mushkin eXtreme Performance $299 look decent but not much is known about these and they come stock DDR466 with loose timings.

Last edited:
I would have liked to have done the Ballistix, but with the $30 restocking fee for returning the PSDs, it sort of killed it for me.

I'm really only looking to go about 2.4-2.5GHz on this chip, so using a divider is a definite. I was just hoping to be able to at least get by with tight timings since I know a good 1:1 240-250MHz is out of the question.

As far as Crucial goes, I've never owned anything other than that for a desktop system (out of nearly 20). But I'm not at a point where I can gamble for a good set of Micron chips. Appears as most of the 1GB modules are going through different chip types at the moment - makes it almost impossible to decide on something.

It's pretty much appearing as most everything in my price range is not guaranteed - makes it really tough to decide. Maybe I'll just go with something a little cheaper and hope to get lucky :] I've heard the GeIL are fairly decent and they're cheaper than what I paid for the cheap Patriots. I don't know...

Jon said:
I would have liked to have done the Ballistix, but with the $30 restocking fee for returning the PSDs, it sort of killed it for me.

I'm really only looking to go about 2.4-2.5GHz on this chip, so using a divider is a definite. I was just hoping to be able to at least get by with tight timings since I know a good 1:1 240-250MHz is out of the question.

As far as Crucial goes, I've never owned anything other than that for a desktop system (out of nearly 20). But I'm not at a point where I can gamble for a good set of Micron chips. Appears as most of the 1GB modules are going through different chip types at the moment - makes it almost impossible to decide on something.

It's pretty much appearing as most everything in my price range is not guaranteed - makes it really tough to decide. Maybe I'll just go with something a little cheaper and hope to get lucky :] I've heard the GeIL are fairly decent and they're cheaper than what I paid for the cheap Patriots. I don't know...

Well you are right about dividers which you can always use if you are limited by your RAM and 240-250MHz would be out of the question with the sticks that you listed, but you would have higher chance with the Patriot sticiks.

If I were you I'd save the money and buy Balistix, but if you can't wait any longer then go with Patriot.

Screw it. I ordered the Ballistix.

My wife is going to kill me.

But I'll be happy :]

avalanche83 said:
Did you get Trasers or regular?

Just the regular, OEM kit. Looks as if I may have had a hand in cleaning them out. They're now out of stock.

RedDragonXXX said:
Those two are decent sticks but don't be fooled by the those tight timings. These would be good if you were to run them on stock since they don't OC very much. However some of the Patriot 1GB sticks have been reported to be using CE-6 chips that OC fairly well with decent timings but it's not guaranteed.

If I were you I would look into the Crucial Value 1GB sticks which would be much better then these and they would cost you less. Micron chips are the best so far in 1GB's and Crucial are the only ones that are using them. But be beware, it has been reported that Crucial started using Samsung UCCC's on these sticks which are not that good so you would be taking a gamble. Ultimately Crucial Balistix would be the best that you can get but they cost around $300+ fro 2GB kit.

Also mushkin eXtreme Performance $299 look decent but not much is known about these and they come stock DDR466 with loose timings.

how dow i know if its Micron chips on my set? :burn:

Back