• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ah my X800XL...glue for PCB?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IWasHungry

Well I had an old X800XL that I wanted to find the max OC for before selling it.
I was trying to figure out why the monitor wasn't getting any signal after I installed it. So I moved it around to make sure it was snugly in the PCI-e slot. SNAP!
x800xl-sm.jpg
This little number fell off. That's not the exact model of my card (It's a Rosewill X800XL), but you can tell what it was that fell off.
I'm a little wary of trying to use the card, since I'm afraid doing so at this point would damage it.
Just looking at it, I think I might be able to just glue it back on...are there any safe types to use on PCB?

Nahhh man, you should be fine.

It's just a capactior, probably used for smoothing out voltages, pop it back in and see if it works, then see if it works in games. If it does, consider yourself lucky and wonder how much stuff is REALLY required on the PCB of the card.

I sheared off a few SMD capacitors on my x800pro while removing those stupid zalman ramsinks, the card still works fine in and out of games

I've broken countless capacitors....sometimes the cards would work fine without them, but it's still a good idea to solder it back on. Not very difficult either. There is a chance that you could permanantly damage it should you fire it up without the cap.

Back