• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

keep my 2 7800gtxs ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

madhatR

right now im not running in SLi cuz my case doesnt have enough airflow and they heat up real quick .. plus the games i play right now .. a single 7800gtx can handle everything on maxx at 1920x1200 with 4xaa / 16x anti ..

so basically when i got my 2nd gtx i had it in sli for one day .. since then .. about a week or so .. its been sitting in the box it came in .. you think its worth keeping or .. or sell it .. and just change the cooler on my 7800gtx and volt mod it or something ?!?

Sell the second GTX.

At the moment, there is no real need for two GTX; you already currently possess the fastest video card available, with no current games to even push one of those cards.

Sell the GTX and pocket the cash; put towards some other use ;)

deception``

i posted a similar question like this over at hardforum.com
and they are like well most likely when fear comes out a single gtx wont be
able to play at 1920x1200 with everything maxxed .. and some of the newer games .. maybe quake 4 ?? that is making me rack my brain over this decision

Just keep it because later on you will be able to take advantage of it before something better comes out.

madhatR said:
i posted a similar question like this over at hardforum.com
and they are like well most likely when fear comes out a single gtx wont be
able to play at 1920x1200 with everything maxxed .. and some of the newer games .. maybe quake 4 ?? that is making me rack my brain over this decision

It's true that the FEAR demo runs like crap, but we cannot make such an assertion until we see the full retail product. Remember the "leaked" Doom III Alpha and how well that played :-/

In all honesty, neither of these titles are expected to launch until later this year (possibly longer with Q4 given ID's track record of quake-related delays). I'm pretty sure that, if you needed to take advantage of SLI, prices will have come down by then.

deception``

hmmm i guess i could always sell this bfg 7800gtx .. and then in a few months the prices might drop some more .. i always wanted sli .. but heat is a major issue on the dfi board since they are so close .. the dfi revision board with better spacing isnt due out till the end of the month at the soonest ... also the lack of aftermarket coolers for these cards ..

well on the fear demo the highest resolutioon u could run was 1600x1200 and i ran that in sli with everything maxxed with no problems .. my single could have handled it ..

the only reason im so into the sli idea is cuz of the native resolution on my 2405 lcd is 1920x1200

madhatR said:
hmmm i guess i could always sell this bfg 7800gtx .. and then in a few months the prices might drop some more .. i always wanted sli .. but heat is a major issue on the dfi board since they are so close .. the dfi revision board with better spacing isnt due out till the end of the month at the soonest ... also the lack of aftermarket coolers for these cards ..

I think the Zalman VF-700 works on the 7800 cards :)

deception``

deception`` said:
I think the Zalman VF-700 works on the 7800 cards :)

deception``

wouldnt work in sli though on the dfi board ..

plus im waiting to see what the stasis thermal one will look like since it will exhaust hot air out of the case .. which is a huge plus .. but every week its being pushed back .. so we shall see

I just noticed something...

You have a CM Stacker (known for both their size and airflow), and you cannot sufficiently run 2 7800's in SLI? :confused:

Am I missing something about this case (was currently eyeing it for myself)

/Off topic

deception``

its on the way .. will be here on tuesday .. i was referring to my lian li v1200b and v2000b not be able to sufficiently cool them .. the spacing is what really kills it .. cuz the dfi board is so close together .. that the top card runs at least 10c higher in idle and load than the lower card .. the asus board doesnt have these problems .. neither will the new revision of the dfi board due out soon i hope

madhatR said:
its on the way .. will be here on tuesday .. i was referring to my lian li v1200b and v2000b not be able to sufficiently cool them .. the spacing is what really kills it .. cuz the dfi board is so close together .. that the top card runs at least 10c higher in idle and load than the lower card .. the asus board doesnt have these problems .. neither will the new revision of the dfi board due out soon i hope

Yeah I've been told that the V-1000 cases are not the best for airflow. Now I just have three cases to choose from now :bang head

deception``

im a huge lian li fan .. ive had like 6-7 of their cases over the years .. and it hurts me to switch to coolermaster .. a steel case .. ewww .. lol .. but the newer lian li cases suck for airflow .. and the stacker 810 has what i need .. so goodbye lian li .. for now

I'd say sell the card, and rebuy it when its cheaper.

And... at 1920x1080, why not just run 2x AA instead of 4x? I can't see any pixels either way.

dunno .. i thought 4x aa is what u should run when running 16x anti

and why not run 6xaa lol

anyways i guess i will sell it .. ive been running onboard sound for awhile .. and im waiting for a fatality x-fi to come otu

madhatR said:

and why not run 6xaa lol

anyways i guess i will sell it .. ive been running onboard sound for awhile .. and im waiting for a fatality x-fi to come otu

sell one and get a venice or san diego and make a key chain out of the winnie

nah my winnie is chugging along fine for now .. next upgrade will be to an x2

Yuriman said:
I'd say sell the card, and rebuy it when its cheaper.

I agree with Yuri, I'd sell it ASAP since the card still fetches top dollar. If you wait till ATI releases their products the price of your 7800 should drop. Then like Yuri said, just buy another one later if you so decide to do so when they come down in price.

madhatR said:

and why not run 6xaa lol

Anti-aliasing and Anisotropic filtering have nothing to do with each other.

This image shows the difference between 0x AF, and 16x AF:
http://home.earthlink.net/~eckyx3/images/Halo AF compare2.JPG

This might be useful in explaining AA:
http://www.widearea.co.uk/designer/anti.html

Anti-aliasing makes the image look like its at a higher resolution (pixels are less apparent) while not actualy having more pixels. It could be said that an image without AA is actualy more clear. But we all like it anyway. :p

I cannot see the pixels with 2x AA at 1600x1200, but your monitor also happens to be a bit larger than mine.

Back