• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quiet single 12v rail PSU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DaFonz

My Seasonic is still on backorder so I thought I'd explore other possibilities in the meantime. Question: do single 12v rail power supplies exist that will come even close to the aucoustic performance of a seasonic?

Off teh top of my head, there is the OCZ which I know to be not very quiet along with the P&C Silencer 470 which I can't see as being as quiet as the 600w seasonic I'm looking at due to the differences in the fan sizes.

Anything else out there that I should be looking at?

Due to the design of my case (Silverstone Tj-06), a PSU with a bottom fan would be perferable.

Thanks

You don't want it too quiet.. Then your lacking proper cooling of the PS, then it will fail due to overheating...

DaFonz said:
Question: do single 12v rail power supplies exist that will come even close to the aucoustic performance of a seasonic?

Older Seasonic ;)

Actually, the PC P&C Silencers are modified Seasonic units - they should be fairly quiet. Other than that, the OCZ PS520 is rumored to be fairly quiet.

There's always SilenX's modded Fortron units too, but IMO the fans they use are possibly too slow to cool well. And they're way too expensive.

My Enermax 460Watt is really quiet (80mm and 90mm fans) and still pulls a descent amount of air through it. The fans are also vary with temperature, which is nice. Also, it has insane 12V current capacity...

:cool:

Joeteck said:
You don't want it too quiet.. Then your lacking proper cooling of the PS, then it will fail due to overheating...

As long as the supply itself is more efficient it can have a fan that does not spin as fast as lower efficiency supply for the same power draw. The seasonic is quieter because it is more efficient.

Randyman... said:
My Enermax 460Watt is really quiet (80mm and 90mm fans) and still pulls a descent amount of air through it. The fans are also vary with temperature, which is nice. Also, it has insane 12V current capacity...

:cool:

Yeah, I have the same one. Its awesome. It has a 33A 12v rail..

Back