• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4 2.8 pin broken off

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lt_Horn

ok, i got this 2.8 processor from my friend and its just sitting around my house with one of the pins broken off (one along the outside.) im wondering is there any safe wayto make this work again? cause i also have an extra p4c800-e dlx, hd and ram laying around.

im thinking soder, but man thats a small point, thoughts or opinions would be helpful. ill take a picture of it as soon as i can and post it

see if it works without it - it may just be a grounding pin, which it has many of

otherwise you can try putting the broken pin in the socket and placing the processor on top of it

or, as you said, solder it back on there very carefully

There's a very good chance it is a redundant ground pin. there are loads on these chips, and while Intel swears they are required, I know of CPUs that worked without them.

At hte very least, send it to me :). I'll gladly resolder the pin on and build a spare machine!

Shane

hm, i guess when i get off work im gonna break out the sodering iron, just have to find wire small enough to replace the pin...good luck me!!!

Get some fuse wire that fits snug into the hole where the pin is missing, works every time. :) My Asus Dothan adapter has 5 broken pins, i've done the same as i've suggested, it works perfect.

Scott.

Back