• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

first intel build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
No, it's used to process the screen data. If it's a Huge screen like 27"+ and you run a high resolution, then the data is saved in the ram and then sent to the screen. If there is more data than the memory can hold for each screen refresh, then the GPU chip has to wait till the data is ready. Meaning the screen in severe gaming issues is lagging, reducing frame rates.

2 GB per card I 'think' (like to see experts chime in) is fine for 24" monitors, even 3 in surround.

You got to higher resolutions, then possibly 4 GB per GPU is nice. I'm no expert, but having 3 2 GB GPUs doen't mean you have 6 GB of video memory.

Yea it's complicated, and yea, we learn new stuff every day.

revised a bit, wanted a little bigger psu to compensate for its degradation and upgradability as well as for sure stability. added the noctua and got the low profile vengeance memory so it will fit with the noctua

neweggorderaug252012.jpg

the memory and psu hdd combo seemed to have expired

GTX670 TDP is 170W. Ivy Bridge is 77W. So with overclocking, lets say 200Wea for the GPU at 100W for the CPU. Rest of the build is usually 30-40W. You're looking at under 550W for SLI 670s and moderate overclocking. 750W is just way overkill.

A single 670 would be WAY more than fine with 500W.

If you want low profile memory, get an OCZ ZT PSU in the combo with some G.SKILL Ripjaws. Or you can stick with the cheaper Corsair PSU/RAM combo (which still exists) and get a TRUE Spirit 140, which should still get a 3770K to 4.5GHz.

well i feel silly how do you find these combo deals? and can you link me to the one in your post so i can add it to my list? and ill go with the true spirit 140 seeing as it has free shipping BUT i have a concern about its height as it seems like it will be a tight fit or no fit. measuring from the mobo my case is 1/10 of an inch under 7" and the cpu sits taller than the "floor" of the mobo and the specs say its 6.7" :\ thats my only concern about it

gonna grab some arctic silver too

It's a bit taller than the NH-D14, 170mm on the TRUE Spirit vs 160mm on the NH-D14. What case are you using? 902, got it, lemme go make sure it'll fit.

EDIT: Can't find any solid info that it'll fit. I've seen coolers as tall as 161mm (HR2-Macho), and I saw someone say they were limited to 140mm tall with a fan on the side panel (25mm thick fan, so 165mm max height?) It's a tight fit though. The TRUE Spirit 120 is shorter and will fit for sure though.

AS5 is a bit oudated, grab some Arctic Cooling MX-4 or Prolimatech PK-1.

Last edited:
indeed he is am am thrilled i am getting this much support from him :)

i overlooked one thing, i only have analog monitors so that stinks until i upgrade monitors which wont be for awhile since i hate spending to much money at once.

heres the newegg neweggorderaug252012-2.jpg

and the true spirit cooler on amazon -$53

and the asrockmobo and 3770k at microcenter combo with tax $402.28

total =1586.80 plus shipping

Last edited:
well theirs dvi-i which i can use the adapter that comes with it which is fne. but dvi-d doesnt have an analog signal obviously unless you spend big bucks on a converter.. same with hdmi. and display port (although dp has around $30 cheapy converter cables)

ahhhhh big smirk on my face ive been waiting for the knufire seal of approval!

LOL, you're gonna push an SLI ready 670 through a single VGA monitor using an adapter connection? Better to get a cheap GPU card until you can upgrade both the monitor and GPU card, and come Christmas time, you can probably get the 670 for $300 or less, then sell the cheap card. Really, to trully benefit from a high end graphics card, you need a 27" monitor with 2560:1440 resolution. You may get more FPS, (though questionable with analog VGA), but also contingent on your internet connection and where you live.

KnuFire is a pro at this, he'd make a few $100 a year if he got 10% of what he saves folks, probably more. He's a great asset to this forum.

Yes, he certainly is a pro, and must have been born with a comuter in his crib. lol To know so much......and even be teaching a class at his age.

A few hundred? More like a few hundred thousand. I bet he's sold a million ASRock Extreme4s on here, which makes me wonder........lol

Truly though, this forum is fortunate to have a guy like him around 24/7

i see your point and find it interesting and something worth thinking about, but why the mocking tone? and what does SLI ready have anything to do with anything in this case? my old 7900gs was sli ready so was the 7600gs

i see your point and find it interesting and something worth thinking about, but why the mocking tone? and what does SLI ready have anything to do with anything in this case? my old 7900gs was sli ready so was the 7600gs

Sorry if I offend you. It not my intention, but only to make a point. It is your money to spend as see fit. I would just never spend $400 for graphic card to only see/have slight more performance which eye can not usually see. Then again I do not play games all day either. To me, it is not enough to go part of the way, but to go all the way or not at all, but the money can truly add up.

well what route would you suggest exactly? what card now and what card in the future?

Depends on what type of monitor you presently have (size, resolution) and what type you plan to get in the future (size, resolution) and how much you would spend on one, because in the end, its the display/monitor that produces what you actually see, regardless how many or how great of a GPU card(s) you have.

EDIT: Based on assuming the monitor you have, and considering having something good enough for gaming, I would suggest this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102981

Read the reviews on this, then read the reviews on the other card.http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814162118
Granted, it is a much better card, but the cheaper one would suffice for now, and you can add another later when you get a better monitor.

Last edited:
Back