• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PROJECT LOG Wall mounted water cooled bench tester

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Squadfer

Hello everyone, thank you for taking the time out of your day to read my project log.

First off, let me clarify the title. Currently I do not have a name for this project so the title that I choose was the easiest way to describe this project with the least amount of words possible.

Second, This is going to be a long term work in progress. I only have a select number of weekends that I can work on this project. Reason being, is the computer that is residing on this project is my workstation. During the week I need my workstation to be functional so I can do my testing for school on it. I also don't have a lot of room on my desk left on my desk for hardware from the workstation to be laying around.

Alright, Here is the reason for the project in the first place. I already had a custom computer case that I built to house my workstation in and it was working just fine. (Build thread of the case http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=660964 Build thread of adding the water cooling to it http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=691497) However, I moved locations and that forced me to re-do the layout of my room. With the way I designed the old case to work on my desk with it place on the end and the new room, the location of the computer was smack dab in the middle of my room. This created two problems, one the computer took up a lot of visual real estate in my room with it being right in the middle. Second, the radiator was now sticking out in the walkway of my room. If you were not careful you could get your shirt caught up on the radiator as you were moving around the room and pull the computer off the desk.:shock:

So I sat for a while thinking of how I could fix these two issues. First I came up with the idea of building a new case that was symmetrical to the original so that it would work on the other side of my desk. This fixed the issue of the computer being in the middle of the room but it still left the issue of the radiator sticking out into the walkway of my room as my closet door lines up right on the edge of my desk on that side. The layout of my room is not ideal to say the least because of the position of my bed and desk, but this was the only option I had to work with due to the positions of the three doors in my room. So, I kept thinking a little harder. I then came up with a solution to fix my current problems and to solve any future problems as easily as possible. The desk, no matter what room it goes in, will always have a side up against a wall. I typically run three monitors (2 connected to the workstation and 1 connected to 2 other computers via kvm switch) My side two monitors will never see the size bigger then 23in and my main monitor is bigger then my side monitors. Right now my main is a 32in lcd tv but I want to downsize to a 27in monitor, I feel the 32in is just to big for how close it is to my face.. Doing this setup creates a nice visual box on the wall that is roughly 2 and a half feet wide, plenty of space for me to mount the computer to. This fixes all my problems, it moves the computer out of the middle of my room and positions the radiator in a better location that wont allow it to get hung up on. Also since my desk is symmetrical(5'X5' corner desk that I made), I wont run into the problem of not having any room for it because it is always going to have that 2 and a half foot section of wall to mount it to, on both sides. Just depends on what side the wall is on.
IMG_20121103_221020_093.jpg

For some reason I cant sit on one piece of hardware (cpu/gpu) for longer then a year without the urge to upgrade it for no apparent reason:confused:. Because of this, I need a solution that wont hinder me when doing the upgrades. This requires the entire motherboard and all the hardware that is physically attached to the motherboard to be easily removable just like a bench test case. As for the other hardware, they are going to be mounted in a way that aids the most in ease of use. The power buttons(main power, led lights), fan controller, and disk drive are going to be located on the bottom of the mount. This puts them in arms reach right above the side monitor.

Since this is a long term project, I'm going to be spending quite a bit of time working on the small details. I don't want to spend all this time and create something that is sub-par. With that being said, I want this project to have the same quality that a show piece would have. There will be blue LED lighting incorporated in this build but they are going to be used for accents and a little bit of wow factor.

Goals:
1. Ability for easy motherboard/cpu/gpu/ram exchanges.
2. Wall mounted
3. Unique
4. Artistic (as much as can be done with a computer... lol)

Well, that is the plan anyhow lol.... Lets see how will it turns out.

****Lack of pictures on the first sort of progress****
First off I started with the base board. A 2'x2' piece of 1/2in red oak from the local hardware store. I found out that I could layout all the hardware needed to fit on the face of the base board inside a 21"x 22" rectangle. I then cut down the 2'x2' oak to fit my required rectangle. I Decided I wanted my motherboard to be located at the top left and for my radiator/pump to be located on the top right. After measuring a couple of times to make sure everything was straight, I drilled holes to mount the motherboard standoffs and the piece of 1in angle aluminum used to mount my radiator. I then cut out some holes in the base board so that I can run wires through them. This brings us to the first picture that I have of this project..... well I thought I had a picture of this stage of the project... The picture I was thinking about doesn't show the computer in the picture at all, it is right outside of the edge of the picture:bang head.

So the project sat propped up on the side of my desk during this stage (main hardware and water cooling mounted on the base board with everything else in a wired mess behind the board) for a couple of weeks. Quite similar to the current pictures, so you will see what I'm talking about pretty soon.

This brings us to the present. Today was a pretty good day to work on the project. Started off nice and sunny, perfect to do some wood work outsides. This allowed me to make the holes for the water cooling tubes to go through the base board. I put two next to the motherboard, one for inlet and one for outlet kinda on opposite ends of the motherboard. Two more are located on the other side of the radiator. My plan is to have quick disconnects located next to the motherboard so that I can satisfy my first goal for the build. By the mid afternoon we had a pretty severe thunderstorm come in that lasted for a good five hours. I didn't let this stop me for I'm a man and what do good men do when they have the house all to themselves with no garage to go to to seek shelter from the elements? That is right, living room gets used as a temporarily garage. :D Let me clarify something real quick, I'm a college student with two other roommates and a dog, the living room doesn't stay as clean as a wife would like it to be at times. Plus I don't have a wife to tell me not to use the inside of the house as a work place. So setup the work area, turn the jams up to 11 and proceed to make a mess.

IMG_20121103_165547_690.jpg
IMG_20121103_161221_425.jpg

As I was inside, I decided I would do a little bit of sanding to erase some of my pencil markings and to clean up the cutouts I made for the wires. I also decided it was a good time to place the PSU in its new home. To do this I used a 1/2in piece of aluminum flat bar cut into two pieces. I then used some all thread and a of couple washers and nuts to create a method to hold the PSU to the baseboard. It isn't completed yet but it does give the PSU a new location other then on my desk. I will end up sleeving the all thread with some aluminum pipe so that you see a smooth bar instead of the threads. I also still need to trim up the aluminum flat bars a little bit, I ground down the sharp edges from cutting but I want to round off the ends. I also messed up on one of the bars, the hole I drilled on one of the ends didn't come out centered and it's been bugging me lol

IMG_20121103_165527_123.jpg

It is going to sit like the next pictures until the next time I can shutdown the computer and work on it.
IMG_20121103_221007_234.jpg
IMG_20121104_245341_212.jpg

The next endeavor is going to involve mounting the disk drive. It is going to go underneath the radiator/pump on the bottom right.
IMG_20121104_245625_914.jpg

This picture shows you how the inlet of the radiator is going to work with its hole through the base board. I still need to sand down the hole some more to make it more formed for the tube to go through it like that. As it is sitting now it doesn't kink but like I said earlier, I'm going to be spending a lot of time doing the small details to make everything near as perfect as I can achieve for this project.
IMG_20121104_245530_856.jpg

Last edited:
Small update time.

I was able to take a break from my studies to work on this project a little bit more. Last time I told y'all I was going to work on the disk drive and get that finished up. Well, I did work on the disk drive a little bit but I'm waiting for some material and parts to arrive before I can finish it up. I was able to cut out the main hole for the disk drive so that it could recess into the base board. I'm waiting for some 1/4in acrylic and some m3 all-thread/hardware to show up so that I can finish up the mounting portion. The fan controller is going to go to the left of the disk drive and it is going to be mounted to the same piece of acrylic.

I was able to get the hard drive mounting figured out but I still need the m3 hardware to finish mounting it to the base board. The acrylic piece that I used for the hard drives was the old top acrylic from my last computer case. Last time I cut acrylic I used a dremel with a multipurpose cutting bit and that was a chore to keep the cut straight. This time I choose to use my jig saw with a high TPI count blade. This method was a whole lot easier to work with. After doing the rough cut with the jigsaw I went back at it with the dremel and the sanding accessory. Sanding down the edges of the acrylic with the dremel was like messing with semi warm butter, to much pressure and you would create an unwanted indention.

In the previous pictures you can notice that the radiator was slightly not straight up and down, the bottom of the radiator ended up being pushed towards the motherboard about an 1/8th of an inch. So while I had the radiator off of its mount I decided it was a good time to fix that mistake and to also do a little bit of trimming to the mount.

Now an update on a project log would be worthless without pictures.

Last time, I showed y'all how I mounted my PSU. I choose to take another image at a different angle to show how I accomplished this. This is the best I could get with my phone camera. I'm using a total of 4 nuts per all-thread to securely hold the base board and the flat aluminum bar. I might replace the aluminum bars with an acrylic piece when its all said and done though.
IMG_20121201_171056_512.jpg

Here is the acrylic mount for my hard drives, It is going to utilize three pieces of all-thread to mount it to the base board. From the picture it looks like the hdd is touching the ssd however there is a gap just big enough for two gift cards to fit into between them.
IMG_20121201_172519_950.jpg

Another picture that I goofed on from my first post was the picture of the water cooling tubing going through the base board, In the picture I provided, it wasn't clear on what was going on in the picture. Here is a better angle showing what I'm doing. You can also see how I'm trimming the radiator mount up a little, it is not done yet but it is a start.
IMG_20121201_173956_042.jpg

These next two images will show you how I'm laying everything out on the base board. The power and reset button will go between the fan controller and the psu. The cables for the hdd will go through the hole the psu cables are going through and the ssd cables will go through the 24pin hole. The cables from the fan controller will also have their own hole instead of being drapped over everything like they are now. The wrapping job on these wires are from when I built the last case for it. I will not be reusing this method in this build.
IMG_20121201_172224_599.jpg
IMG_20121201_172244_698.jpg

Once I get the material and hardware that I'm waiting on, I will be able to make some more progress.

Last edited:
update time!

Now that the semester is over, I have been able to dedicate some time for progress on this build. First off, during the last update and now I have acquired a 8 week old lab. With that being said, I've been a little occupied with playing with her and catching up on some sleep since my current sleep schedule consists of multiple 2 hour naps throughout the day/night...

I decided that I did not like the way I had my PSU mounted at all, so I scrapped that idea and bought a 3X1 acrylic sheet (a little bit too much for what I needed but I figured I would have some excess if I cracked a piece I was working on). While I was still at my house, I was able to cut out some pieces with my jig saw, I don't have any pictures of this as I forgot to take them. What I do have pictures of is what I was able to accomplish today at my parents house. Being able to work with more then a dremel and a jigsaw sure does make the job a lot funner and easier. I was able to utilize my dad's belt sander and drill press. I didn't use the drill press for its intended purpose, drilling into stuff. However, I used it as a make shift router by putting one my dremel sanding attachments on it and using that to clean up the holes in the PSU mount and to trim down the SSD/HDD mount. This method was so much easier to control as opposed to the dremel alone.

Enough with the talk, time to show some pictures.

First up, here is the reason for my multiple 2 hour naps. :)
IMG_20121220_194708_008.jpg

Here is the PSU acrylic piece, it is going to be painted black, with an etched design in it for some LED's to light up.
IMG_20121220_194352_987.jpg

Here is how the PSU acrylic piece is mounted, piece of all thread going through the black plastic (had to increase the inner diameter for the all thread to fit). This is how all the acrylic pieces will be mounted.
IMG_20121220_194409_948.jpg

Here is the riser for the add on cards. I didn't order enough black plastic to cover the all thread here but I will be making a 2nd order for some.
IMG_20121220_194634_761.jpg

Tomorrow I will be making some more progress. My goal is to have the disk drive and fan controller acrylic piece mounted and to also have the SSD/HDD mounted as well.

I love the idea and craftsmanship look top notch. Are you planning on painting the board itself?

Going to stain it to match my desk, I'm using the same type of wood as I used for my desk so it should match pretty darn close :)

Teaser update time!

Over the past two days I was able to get a lot accomplished and also added some features that I did not plan for, not by mistake either. However, for now I will give you some teaser cell phone pictures. Tomorrow I will be dissambeling the whole thing so that more progress can be made and I will take better pictures when I have everything torn apart with my parents camera instead of my cell phone.

Accomplished this much on friday.
IMG_20121222_165517_474.jpg

These next four images are what I accomplished today.
IMG_20121222_194008_017.jpg
IMG_20121222_194043_782.jpg

I will let y'all speculate what these next two images are for. They are not done and they are the reason why I have to take everything apart to make more progress.

IMG_20121222_194131_382.jpg
IMG_20121222_194158_717.jpg

Last edited:
looks awesome. and for the dust, a can of air will easily take care of it.

How's the wood mount after a while?
I was thinking of something similar, but I am not sure if wood is a good backplate for the build given the heat it might absorb...

this is awesome though, I find these work amazing.

Update time

Trueblack: The dust you see on the fans and radiator are what is left over from 2 cans of air, the motherboard hasn't been cleaned yet. I will do a more thorough job of cleaning the rad when I remove the fans to paint the blades. I am going to go with a uniformed blue on all the fans being utilized on this build.

As far as the heat and wood. I haven't seen an issue yet and I've been running this setup for about 4-5 months now. The majority of the heat sources are elevated off of the board itself. The motherboard hasn't been an issue either for heat, I've had it sitting on wood for over a year now and the old piece wasn't warped in any way.

peanutbudder: You are correct on both accounts. After reading your reply and looking at it thinking it was that easy? I came up with another idea of what the ram cooler could have been, fan mount for my GPU. I don't know if I want to incorporate this or not, but the only thing on the GPU that is under water is the GPU core itself, the other stuff is under a passive heat sink (not using a full waterblock). The ram cooler right now is almost an exact fit for this purpose, would just have to do some minor adjustments. I do have quite a bit of acrylic left over so I'm still up in the air about doing it.

Now to the update. Besides for 1 photo, these will all be from my parents camera....meaning a little bit better quality :).

First up is a before and after shot of the SSD/HDD mount.
Before.
IMG_20121201_172519_950.jpg
After sanding it down using my dad's drill press as a router.
DSCN0547.JPG

These next group of photos are going to show the base board bare and then with parts being added.
If you got a good eye you will notice something that I'm guessing happened during the sanding of the base board since I did not notice it before hand... I will fill it in with some filler but i'm a little bummed that I'm gonna have to do it...
DSCN0545.JPG
DSCN0546.JPG
DSCN0548.JPG

Here I was testing out only using 2 posts to mount this piece, however I went ahead and added a 3rd post which stiffened it up a bit.
DSCN0544.JPG
With the 3rd post added.
DSCN0550.JPG
DSCN0551.JPG

Here is how all the fans that are going on acrylic pieces are going to be mounted. I did not plan for this so I have to order some more allthread and acorn nuts...about twice as many acorn nuts as I originally planned for :).
DSCN0549.JPG

Last but not least, this photo is of my 1st money pit (computers are not far behind) My pride and joy that is always a nice reason to visit my parents :). It is the one in the middle in the back. I have better pictures but they are on my old phone that is currently uncharged at the moment.
IMG_20121223_132459_110.jpg

Last edited:
That Jeep looks awesome.
On the 4th to last image, couldn't you just dremel a slot in the wood for the GPU backplate instead of cutting the backplate?
Overall, that looks awesome and i want to do something like that now.

That Jeep looks awesome.
On the 4th to last image, couldn't you just dremel a slot in the wood for the GPU backplate instead of cutting the backplate?
Overall, that looks awesome and i want to do something like that now.

Thanks for the compliment on the jeep, I'll be snapping at least one better picture of it this weekend when I go back down to my parents.

Also, big thanks on noticing that issue on the gpu. I completely forgot that I did that to the gpu when I made my first wood case. I will in fact be making a slot for the tabs that are suppose to be there.

Update time.

During the break I was able to accomplish quite a bit of work. Still got a ways to go but it is starting to look like something now.

Aight, lets look at where we left off. I had most of the acrylic pieces in their places and was being tied up because I ran out of material. I have since finished mounting the majority of the acrylic pieces however I left pci tie down acrylic piece at my parents so I still need to finish that one up. I have also attached the side trimming to the base board. This weekend I will be working on the fans for the radiator and also cleaning out all the dust that has been collected. I will also be do some more work to the base board.

Also over the break my parents bought me a 27in 2560X1440 from microcenter for christmas. With this new monitor I have changed the layout of the monitors in my room. Since I no longer needed to have the 2nd computer on my desk that forced all three monitors on it. I now only have 2 monitors on my desk and my 3rd monitor is on my dresser. This allows me to sit the new computer setup on the left hand side of my desk and then have my 27in in the middle, 23in on the right for my two primary displays. My 3rd monitor is my 32in tv which is now on my dresser that has my router and server connected to a VGA switch connected to the tv for when I need to access something directly on those two machines. The 32in tv is also connected to my main computer via hdmi so I can watch movies and such off it.

Here, pictures can describe more than words.

Up first is the pictures of my new monitor layout and with all but 1 acrylic piece installed. You will also noticed I have the 4 60mm fans now. They are also wired to 1 single channel on my fan controller.
IMG_2123.JPG
Woh look at the dust on that rad.... that will be getting cleaned tomorrow.
IMG_2124.JPG
IMG_2125.JPG
IMG_2126.JPG

Next up is where I left off today. I finished sleeveing the all thread for the acrylic pieces that I had on hand. I've also decided that I will be making a new acrylic piece to replace the piece I left over at my parents house but that will have to wait for when I go back to my parents house. I'm replacing it because I feel like a better design can be achieved on that particular piece that will look better then what I originally cut.

IMG_2127.JPG
Again....that dust....
IMG_2128.JPG
IMG_2129.JPG

Next major hurdle will be routing the tubing but waiting on funds so I can purchase some stuff to accomplish this.

Over the weekend and still continuing, the weather has been outstanding. Sunny days and mid 70's in Texas is glorious. So I've been outside doing some work on this project when I wasn't busy driving my jeep with no top nor doors. :) I was able to get the base board near completed status and I also cleaned out the dust in the rad which ended up taking the power of the vacuum cleaner to accomplish. The only thing left to really accomplish on the base board is to stain it, however that wont be for a while because I have plans for adding another 120X3 rad and pump identical to the one I already have. This is going to put my project behind a little but that is usually what happens anyways lol.

My thinking on what I'm going to be doing to my rad setup is to keep the one I have already in its existing spot, spin it around 180 degrees so that the air is coming in from the sides of this now rectangular box. Enclose this box with some acrylic so that you can not see the actual rads. The rads will be spaced out far enough apart from each other so that my 120mmx38mm scythe ultra kaze will fit between them at the top. This way I will have 6 intake fans for my rads, 3 per side and wired so that I can control 1 side with my fan port 1 (like it is now) and the other side with fan port 2 even though they are both going to be set at the same speed...I will look into seeing if I could use 1 fan port instead. However, I don't know on the top of my head if I can wire them up to all be on 1 fan port. I'll take a look into what parallel and series does to amperage to figure it out...I should know this though but i'm just drawing a blank at the moment.... Which leaves 1 ultra kaze at the top controlled with fan port 4 for the exhaust. The fans im using on my rad now are low rpm/moderate cfm fans. Just from by going off of feel alone I am sure that the 1 ultra kaze will be sufficient to keep up with double what my fans are blowing now.

Enough with the rambling, all y'all want to look at is the pictures.

This set of pictures shows the base board sanded down ready for staining and then a progression of images showing each piece getting added one by one.

IMG_2130.JPG
IMG_2131.JPG
IMG_2132.JPG
IMG_2133.JPG
IMG_2134.JPG
IMG_2135.JPG
IMG_2136.JPG
IMG_2137.JPG
IMG_2138.JPG
IMG_2139.JPG

Back