• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should i get a new CPU?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ya I know its not your cpu. Mine is completely crap, but it can do 2.5, and 2.6 if I really push the voltage. Post Specs, Voltage, timmings, ram, and cooling. Also PSU as well.

Ram, PSU, and cooling at all in his sig.

You should be able to get much higher then a 200mhz OC. Even if you have stock heatsink and value ram, you should be able to get to 2000mhz. But since you have OCZ Gold and a DFI board, you should be able get much much higher then your current speeds. Double check to see if your multiplier is lowered, should be at 9x for a 3000+. Post some ram timings and some temps and volts.

ok thanks guyz.Uh my ram definitly ain't value ram. LOLz. Itz one of the OCZ gold series i believe.

I use a zalman7000b-cu and the temps of the core at 37-40 idle.

psu is in sig

voltage is at 1.68
LDT volts is at 1.3 Chipset is at 1.5 and ram is at 2.8

White_Pawn said:
voltage is at 1.68
LDT volts is at 1.3 Chipset is at 1.5 and ram is at 2.8

whoa you mean cpu voltage is at 1.68? that's too high :-/

write down everything you have in your bios, etc. i think something is definitely off....

well i suppose there is one last thing to mention. In my DRAM settings. Everything is on auto. and i have no clue on what to do with them. Mabye if someone gave me sum pionters that would do it?

ok... Good news i suppose. I think it has to do mostly with my RAM voltage. I uped it to 2.90 and it loaded windows at 235 x 9. My tempurature is at 32-33 idle. The cpu voltage is at 1.68. i tried running cs source and it worked for about 2 minutes and shut down afterwords.

Last edited:
uh the default is auto and i have no idea what that is. but most other poeople that use venice are around my voltage. I got it working at 240 x 9 now. But i dun know how stable it is.

Dude its your ram, you need to actualy test its limits, my guess is right now your trying to run it 1-1 with your cpu and since its i think gold VX its going to need alot of voltage and tweeking to get set up. If you want to find the limits of your cpu you need to set the memory to a lower speed and then OC your cpu.

Check out this sticky, i outlined the easyest way to set up your OC, its not perfect but it gets you going.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=391768

Yeah, if you're using OCZ Gold VX then set your memory voltage to ~3.4v to start with & set your divider to 3/4 (a.k.a. 150MHz) for a 225MHz memory clock. Set the timings to 2-2-2-5 & you can leave the other settings at auto for now. A Drive Strength of 1 or 2 usually helps however so you can use one of those settings too. Put a fan on the memory as well. set the CPU voltage to ~1.55-1.6v.

That will allow you to have the headroom to run the CPU at upwards of 2.7GHz (300MHz HTT * 9). Set the chipset voltage to stock. You probably won't need to touch it. Make sure the HTT multi is at 2 or 3. Have fun from there :). Once you're prime stable at those settings, set the divider to 5/6 (a.k.a. 166MHz) for a 250MHz memory clock, run memtest86 for 12 hours if you'd like (at least run it for 10 passes), & then run Prime95 again to check for system stability. 12-24 hours is a good length of time to run prime when you want to check for stability. If it isn't Memtest stable at that speed, increase the memory voltage to 3.5v or 3.6v. Also make sure you have the memory in the slots that are maximized for Winbond CH/BH/UTT memory. I'm not sure which pair of slots those are, someone here should be able to tell ya if its the yellow or the orange slots or you can go to the DFI AMD mobo forum & check the stickies.

Back