• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ak 31 rev 3.1

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bisyfxn

Registered
I am thinkin of getting this board and would like to hear from others that have it as far as how stable it is and what bugs thay have discovered with it.Also as to who has it in stock ready to ship.I have read reviews on this board but i would rather hear from actual users of it.
Thanks
Mike

I Like IT!

I love this board! It's easy to overclock, and very stable. The only thing that I found that is weird, is that my Rev2 board would clock higher with more ram slots filled, but this one clocks much higher with only 2 slots filled? Note really a bug, but interesting......

I highly recommend it!

Doctor

I got the rev2, and now rev3, so...you got the idea. these 2 are my first board, kick a.. :D very stable, easy to oc, one of the best out there right now

Im glad to hear that your pleased with the board,can you tell
me where you bought it?Ive been looking at newegg and thay
are out of stock on it.I want to buy it from a dealer that backs their products and not one that gives you the runaround if something goes wrong with it.
Mike

Thanks for the address,i just sent my order in for the motherboard.
Mike

I'll kinda horn in on this thread :)
I'm real close to deciding on the AK31 rev 3.1, but it seems I saw somewheres a little prob with some power supplies. If anybody using this board successfully could post what ps they're using it would be most appreciated ( Oh, and any that the psu wasn't up to snuff)
Thanks guys :)

My psu is a 250 watt Enhance. I've also tried it with a 300 watt Antec. No problems with either. I haven't heard any power supply issues with this board. If you remember where you saw it, I'd like to know.

nihili

Im using the AK31 rev 3.1 right now with a 400w PSU. Everything works great so far, no problems at all.

I'm running my Ak31 Rev3.1 right now @1794mhz, with a Antec 425W PS, with 5 PCI cards, 1 GeForceIII 64megDDR, and A VapoChill Case, keeping this beast at a Cool -09c...........

Obviously, N o P r o b le m s H e r e . . . . .

:D

Doctor

Re: I Like IT!

Doctor said:
I love this board! It's easy to overclock, and very stable. The only thing that I found that is weird, is that my Rev2 board would clock higher with more ram slots filled, but this one clocks much higher with only 2 slots filled? Note really a bug, but interesting......

I highly recommend it!

Doctor

Hey Doc, when you notice the slow down in mem scores with more slots fill, did you have all four slots filled or 3? I read that this chipset requires you to use Registered RAM if you want to use more then 3 slots.

nihili, I finally chased down the psu probs I referred to. Turns out the couple of instances of psu probs were the same guy using a really generic 300 watt psu. So far (beyond the expected scattered probs) I have found not much other than glowing reveiws (from users, not someone getting hardware for free) from all. Sounds like it may be the way for me to go as it is only about $85 :)

Re: Re: I Like IT!

Alex99 said:

Hey Doc, when you notice the slow down in mem scores with more slots fill, did you have all four slots filled or 3? I read that this chipset requires you to use Registered RAM if you want to use more then 3 slots.

The reality of overclocking your memory is that the more you have, the less you can overclock. If I run 1 stick, I can max out the boards FSB to 166mhz. With 2 sticks, I will start crashing @ 160. 3 Sticks, and this bad boy doesn't like any higher than 155.
It's the reality of Amount 0f Memory VS FSB. I guess that your just overwelming the the Northbridge trying to keep all those bytes going to all the right places.

As 4 your other question, "Officially" the mobo is supposed to have registered memory if you want to run 4 sticks, but in reality, I can fill all the slots with unregistered Corsair PC 2400 DDR, and it works fine, but as I mentioned, above, you need to turn your fsb even lower.

Thank god these Athlons allow you to change the multiplier to get the same amount of MHZ :D How would you like to be one of the Intel boyz that don't have that option???

Doctor

Back