• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What else can i do to cool this?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MaxPowers_68

Quiet Server Rig (most recent at the bottom)
I figured my server would need some cooling seeing as I plan to have it all the time and keep it quiet. The fan on the CPU was way to whiny and loud for the horrible cooling it was doing. The only exhaust fan is on the psu and the only intake is 2 little (i think 40mm?) fan so i would say my pressure is still a little negative but the air is always flowing at the main chips. Hope you guys like my custom fan mounts :p.

And ill be putting an Asus NB aluminum HS on the NB with AS-adhesive once i receive it.(AS5 on the PSU of course)

If theres anything else you guys see that can help me improve let me know :thup:.

(updated pics 11/20/05)
508279711wbIAlp_ph.jpg

508280272YVleaq_ph.jpg

508280281lgLzSe_ph.jpg

508280123WHxCgG

Last edited:
yeah, try getting some type of exhaust in there.... and also... if you can you should move the hdd out of the way in the front b/c that'll be where the "natural" intake of a computer is... you can actually quiet the computer alittle by stringing bungy cords from the 5/25 bays to the bottom of the case to hold the hdd, kinda like a way to absorb the vibrations of the hdd and thus creating a quieter computer.

from the amount of work that you are lookin at for that case to make the server cool more efficiently and quietly you should probably paruse around on ebay for a cheap case that you can get that'll have a nice sized intake and exhaust fans to keep the system cool....

Yea, a blowhole at top and or hole in back would be good. From the pic I cant tell if an 80mm fan would fit in the back or not.

new heatsinks? and some panaflos? if you don't have a window in your case, no point in having leds right?

-1cem4n

well i didnt put the led fans for how they looked i put them on cause i had them laying around... free>paying. :p so far ive paid $0 on this project just put in some time and i dont think a better heatsink would make a diff cause i primed and did a burn in and when i went to touch the HS i didnt feel any heat what so ever.

MaxPowers_68 said:
I The fan on the CPU was way to whiny and loud for the horrible cooling it was doing.

If theres anything else you guys see that can help me improve let me know :thup:.

Let's see...you took the fan off the CPU heatsink...and you want to know how to improve the cooling....Hmmmm! Might I suggest.....

considering buying a rackmount style case, especially a 1 or 2u setup, those with some 60mm exhaust fans, pull air through front and out the back, cools everything.

Well i gave it a weight reduction by cutting larger vents where every i could and took out the floppy drive (which also got rid of one of the cables) and put the HD in that slot. I also put little rubbers on the feet so i would dampen case vibration on my wooden floor... anything you guys see that i dont... ill update the pics as i go along :)

should i take out the 2nd fan and make it more quiet or would it even make a diff? I'm not overclocked as of yet so i don't know how necessary it is right now...

i'd go for one over the cpu and one in the case somewhere to get flow, and adding an exaust fan somewhere (im thinkin blowhole would be great) would greatly improve flow, and cutting off grills and even removing the small fansi n front may quiet it down and wouldnt hurt it if you added an exaust at the same time.

update: i removed the 2 front 40mm fans and moved the HD where the floppy used to be but the HD was really noisy (probably the most noisiest thing in the computer) so put some noise damnpening foam that i had laying around sandwiched in b/w the front plastic face and the steal case it also coverd the floppy hole that let the noise of the hd out. I also put some wd-40 on the part of the psu fan under where the sticker is. Figured since its so old it could use a little lube lol
...so you get an idea
5004323_517.jpg

Last edited:
can you put an intake fan where the hd used to be mounted? did you cut the rear panel and add an exhaust fan?

i'm sure you can find used 120mm's in the classifieds for $cheap.

im sure i could i just need to do some dremeling... i want this comp dead silent so i think ima put a 120 intake (sounds like a good idea) and maybe the one over the cpu but im trying to spend zippo on this project. I still feel the 80mm fan on the cpu is still to loud.

the foamy stuff might be making the hard drive really hot. i wrapped an old 4 gig in bubble wrap to quiet it, and it ended up melting the bubble wrap on bottom. so watch its heat, dont want it to die on ya.

Back