• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Extend disk space range?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Midnight Dream

OSPF Loving Member
Ok, so here is the deal. My / system only has about 18GB Left. Im worried about that running out. However, I have another hdd in my system that isnt being used at all. I want to allocate this for more space in my system, but I dont know how I would go about doing this. Anybody have any recommendations?

More space for what?

You can mount /home /etc /var or any other partion on any HDD you want.

I'm guessing you need more space, so I'd just format the entire drive and mount it to something along the lines of /home/storage

Can I just copy the entire / directory to one drive, and move the /home to another, and it still work fine? (Sorry, im still in the windows mentality in this part)

Yes, if you cp -a to maintain directory structure and change your mounts in /etc/fstab to reflect the change. The system doesn't care where stuff is physically, only where it's mounted.

Back