• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Come Back!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hibner

FH.jpg

This is a plee to all of you who have folded in the past, but for one reason or another have quit. Many people here have tried folding in some form, but have slipped out of it through the years. Maybe you just forgot to reinstall after a hard drive wipe, or maybe didnt understand why your processor usage was always at 100%. But I see the we have about 6 times as many inactive users as we do active ones. That is horrible. I know that after awhile people get lost in the points race. But please remember it's not for the points, it's for the cure. And, many of you probably have faster rigs now than when you quit folding. So try it again. It doesn't slow your rig down any, it's easy to setup, any it takes no maintenance. So it is ZERO sacrifice on your part. So please just install it again and then you can forget about it.

Thanks to all of you who return
Jay

my main rig is down... after getting the vid card rma'd, my mobo is now being rma'd... be a couple weeks till im back. And until cooler weather, my 2nd rig is down due to being uber hawt.

White Runner said:
... be a couple weeks till im back. And until cooler weather, my 2nd rig is down due to being uber hawt.
Well cooler weather is coming for everyone, so hopefully we will get more people stragling back in.

... and way to start off my thread on a positive note 9mm. :thup:

I had to quit folding due to price. With oil prices going up, so are electricity bills, at least around here. This could be the same for some other members. Anyway if you are going to recruit people try to be honest about it, taking up ram does slow down your PC, even if it doesn't effect your CPU. It also takes up a lot of power to leave a 3GHZ+ PC running non stop. Go ahead and correct me if they fixed the ram thing but if not then it doesn't seem right to me for you to say it won't slow your PC.

tenchi, as long as a person stays away from using the -advmethods flag and has the config set for "Bigpackets=no" they shouldn't see a significant use of their ram. It's just the more advanced work units like the BP and QMD wu's that are real ram and memory bandwidth hogs. The normal wu's still have a pretty small memory footprint.

tenchi86 said:
...try to be honest about it, taking up ram does slow down your PC, even if it doesn't effect your CPU. It also takes up a lot of power to leave a 3GHZ+ PC running non stop. Go ahead and correct me if they fixed the ram thing but if not then it doesn't seem right to me for you to say it won't slow your PC.
right now my F@Hcore service is taking up about 12MB of memory. Most internet browsers alone use more than that. And to be honest with you I dont even realize it is running. I dont even turn it off for gaming. But I digress.

Expenses are going up all over the country, mine as well. So I am not asking you to leave your computer running 24/7. I am just asking you to run it whenever you have your computer on. If you have your computer on for 10 hours a week, then that is great. That is helping the cause.

i agree, everyone could easily fold on at least one computer. I can understand running a bunch can require some time and $$$ for electricity. But if you can afford a computer, you can probably afford to fold on a computer.

what is up with 9mm?

Well, I PM'd Dr. Pande at FoldingCommunity.org and asked him about recruitment and retention methods. He seemed unconcerned about turn-over and figured that people leaving fAh for other DC projects may find their way back someday. Sort of had a "low-key" optimism would be the best way I can describe his viewpoint. Maybe that's the key to happiness. I wonder if anyone's ever tried to borg Stanford's computers. (just an amusing off topic thought). ;)

Back