• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PCI Device - Unknown

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ascii2

PCI Device - Unknown

I have recently installed Windows 2000 Professional with Service Pack 4 onto a system with a GIGABYTE GA-8LD533 motherboard.

I have installed what I believe to have been all the drivers for the system. The drivers I installed are the following:

Chipset: Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility 7.2.1.1003
Graphics: Intel 82845G Graphics Controller 14.10.3
Audio: Realtek AC'97 Audio CODECs A3.76a
Network Interface Card: RTL8139(A-B-C-D-8130)-810X PCI series 6.21
56K Modem (in a slot): USRobotics Windows install files for OEM product 3594a

Only one PCI expansion slot is populated. A USRobotics 56K Modem populates the lowest PCI slot of the motherboard.

"PCI Device" is listed in an "Other Devices" category in Device Manager.

I can't think of any other relevant drivers to install for "PCI Device".

What could the solution to the problem be?

EDIT: Problem resolved. View post #6 of this thread for resolution.

Last edited:
USB 2.0 driver possibly? Even installing chipset drivers for mine doesn't provide the USB 2.0 support - I always have to do it manually. That's about all I can think of though.

I tried installing the USB 2.0 drivers.

Problem still exists.

Try going here to see if you can obtain the vendor ID. If that works, it may be possible to track down at least where the device comes from so you can narrow down the possibilities.

Also, have you tried opening the properties box for the device in Device Manager and attempting to let Windows Update find a driver for it?

I also found this which may or may not refer to your problem. It's worth a shot anyway.

I have tried Widows Update, both via the Update Driver wizard and the site.

I found many Device IDs and Vendor IDs; All seem to be for things that should already have installed.

The link to download a utility from a FAQ from the German GIGABYTE website is bad.

I have solved the problem.

Intel seems to have screwed up the current chipset driver release.
The most current release (version 7.2.1.1003) of Intel's chipset drivers are bad.

Version 6.3.0.1007 of Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility seems to function. Version 7.0.0.1025 of the chipset installation utility has not been tested yet by Ascii2.
I noticed, from checking enumerations in the Windows Registry, that the "unknown" driver had the same location as a known driver for the chipset. "PCI standard ISA bridge" had location ""PCI bus 0, device 31, function 0", the same as the location for "PCI Device".

Perhaps someone (else) should let Intel know about their faulty chipset drivers.

Last edited:
Back