• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

KT266A Motherboard..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DMFDGman

I have an AMD XP 1800+. I'm have been doing some reading about the KT266A chip set and made the decision to use that chip set. I cant find an ASUS or Abit motherboard with the KT266A so was hoping to get a little help.
Question....
1: What KT266A motherboard are you using with your AMD XP 1800+?
2: How overclockable is it?
3: Buy it again or NOT?

Thanks for all the help !!
Gman :confused:

Specs are in the sig.

Ive been using this mobo for almost a week now, ive had no trouble with it yet.

EPOX 8KHA+

I have been using this board for about a week now and must say it is awesome with my XP 1800+. I am currently able to run at 150 FSB at the fastest memory timings.

I would recommend the Epox 8KHA+ over the Shuttle board unless you have no interest in FSB overclocking. The shuttle board only offers vDDR voltage adjustments upto 2.7v, while the Epox goes a bit higher (I'm not sure how high). The 2.7v should allow you 150mhz or so, but if you want to get into 266+, you're going to need some serious voltage.

Just my 2 cents.

I have a 8KHA+ and consider it to be a reasonable mobo, the manual is exceptionaly poorly written though with poor explanations regarding bios settings and features. I have run this mobo at 160 mhz FSB quite happily... Overall I would sum this mobo up as being Ok but rather over rated, it is by no means bad.. but not as good as some people seem to believe imho

Last edited:
Get the Shuttle AK31 Rev 3.1, or the Epox 8KHA+.

I'm on my 2nd Shuttle, and both have been excellent. I'm currently running an AK31Rev3.1 with an Athlon 1.4 @ 1793mhz, 11X163-Stable.

BTW, I'm not running an XP, but my Shuttle is one of the few, "AMD Recomended" Mobo's to handle it.

Just my $.02

Doctor

Doctor said:
I'm currently running an AK31Rev3.1 with an Athlon 1.4 @ 1793mhz, 11X163-Stable.

Hey Doc,
That's some kick *** OC. What stepping is your Athlon, and is it an XP or just the plain Athlon? That's the highest I've ever seen it goes up to. Can you post some benchy pix?

Shuttle AK31 Rev 3.1

Does anyone know where I can buy a Shuttle Ak31 Rev 3.1 or any other KT266A Mobo in the UK?

Dabs.com don't stock Shuttle and I can't find anywhere else??!!

thanks!

Alex99 said:

Hey Doc,
That's some kick *** OC. What stepping is your Athlon, and is it an XP or just the plain Athlon? That's the highest I've ever seen it goes up to. Can you post some benchy pix?

Sure thing, It's a AYHJA T'Bird. I'm running it ina a VapoChill case, at -09C.

Here's an earlier post of mine with some benches......

Doctor

Doctor said:

Sure thing, It's a AYHJA T'Bird. I'm running it ina a VapoChill case, at -09C.

Doctor

Doctor, have you modified your Vapo or anything? I'm running at 2v and only 1700mhz currently and my temps are at -6. If i go into the 1800's my temps are around -3, -2 at the condensor and the CPU back is really cookin'. Any ideas?

wellz..just read everyone's post. I'm getting an EPOX 8KHA+ I had my mind set on this one because EPOX MOBO are excellent and that it will feature tha KT266A chipset. I could get this board for around $122 OUT the DOOR. Not bad? ehhe. I'm also planning to get the Athlon XP 1600+ OEM also, I'm getting that for $133.90 ONLY, and OUT THE DOOR. So that brings my total up to $255.90....not BAD..if anybody wants to know where they could get both of these items for cheaP...PM meeh..i'll let u know. Again $255.90 TOTAL. late -wU

Last edited:
Neptune said:

Doctor, have you modified your Vapo or anything? I'm running at 2v and only 1700mhz currently and my temps are at -6. If i go into the 1800's my temps are around -3, -2 at the condensor and the CPU back is really cookin'. Any ideas?

Well, yes, I have modded my VapoChill. Hell, I've modded everything else!

First, don't use the heater pad on the CPU. With these Athlon's, at these speeds, you don't need it. I have taken mine apart many times, and have never found any condensation.

Also, I bought 2 Sunon fans that are the same size as the one in front of the condensor, but faster. I mounted one, blowing in over the additional hard drive bays, at the bottom, front of the case. It gets the needed aiflow over my raid array, and into the case.

I also removed the power converter from the front of the compressor, and velcro'ed it to the outside, top left of the case, between the chassis, and the outside cover. Then I put the other Sunon where that thing used to be, blowing out.

It's like the hot winds from the Sahara comming outa there, but it brought my temps down considerably.

I hope this helps you out, and if what I just said doesn't make any sense to you, post another thread in the "cooling" forum, requesting some pictures. I will do my best to post some.

Doctor

Last edited:
Back