• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

both dvd drives undetected...help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tylerhskate

ok on this mobo, k8t neo2-fir for some reason my dvd drives arent being detected(1 a pioneer dvr-108 and the other a samsung 16x dvd drive..) not sure what the deal is here because the dvr-108 worked in my other comp forever and on this comp both drives arent being detected...i also switched out the cables and that didnt help either

on your previos setup was the dvr108 the master and the samsung the slave?

if so did you set it up the same way on your new setup? if not check your jumper settings for each device.

the device at the end of the cable should be jumpered to master, and the drive using the middle connector on the cable should be jumpered to slave.

if windows is your os, are you able to boot into windows? or is it not detecting during p.o.s.t. and just locking up?

if its locking up during post it could be your jumper settings are incorrect or its taking the bios to detect them. i just put a new hdd and cdrw in a compaq and i was having problems with it locking up during post. everything was jumpered correctly.

i rebooted, had to leave and when i came back(2 minutes later) the bios recognized the devices and i was able to load up windows. it was a 750mgz amd compaq, i wonder if the slow chip was the issue? before this i had rebooted several times with no go with the same correct jumper settings.

also, if the above doesn't work, trying getting into your bios and under "standard cmos" settings or something like that, run "autodetect" or something close to that.

and lastly, make sure the molex connectors to both drives are inserted properly and make sure the data cable running into the drives is using the "secondary ide" slot and your hdd is using the "primary ide" slot.

hope this helps and post your progress.

i can boot fine into windows, but neither drive is detected, previously the dvr108 was the master and the samsung was the slave...thats how i have it set up now as well

tylerhskate said:
i can boot fine into windows, but neither drive is detected, previously the dvr108 was the master and the samsung was the slave...thats how i have it set up now as well

when you go into the bios> "standard cmos features" are the drives detected there? sometimes you need to set it manually, my pcchips m811u board had this issue, i manually had to detect optical/floppy drives, the pata was automatically detected for some reason.

nope they arent detected in the bios, otherwise i could probably figure it out. when it does detect something the only thing it says is "PIOJEER DVDRW" just like that with the incorrect spelling and it still doesnt detect the SAMSUNG..

tylerhskate said:
nope they arent detected in the bios, otherwise i could probably figure it out. when it does detect something the only thing it says is "PIOJEER DVDRW" just like that with the incorrect spelling and it still doesnt detect the SAMSUNG..

your sure they are jumpered properly, they are the secondary ide channel, the molex pin are secured in the optical drives?

in the bios>standard cmos features -- did you try and run autodetect?? it takes a while to run.

try just one optical drive at a time. if they both work out, next thing you can do is boot up, download the drivers for both drives.

and do the "add hardware" wizard.

and lastly do you have an old optical that you know 100% is working, if that fails to boot up and run properly in windows then it might be your mobo.

if your optical runs perfectly, try the drives again one at a time. then ones that don't work might be bad???

i had both of the issues above in the past.

sorry if iam repeating anything said be4 but check these:

- both drives on another mobo
- 1 drive each time on the new mobo
- 1 drive on each cable without the HDD plugged in

if the above 3 things are ok, then u might have a problem with cables OR the board or a weird combatibility thing between the 2 drives.. try getting new cables and make sure they are 80 wires not 40.. and of course the usual stuff master/slave order along with cables..

good luck!

Back