• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help with 4k Movies on HTPC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

g0dM@n

Inactive Moderator
Hello, fellow OCForums friends! I haven't been here in a long time and was seeking help, so figured what better place than OCF!

Flat-Screen:
65" Samsung KS8500 LED (love this thing)

AV Receiver:
Pioneer VSX-822

HTPC Hardware:
ECS KBN-I
A6-5200 APU
8GB RAM DDR3 1333
Radeon HD8400 / R3 (this should be the APU)
SSD for OS and apps

Software:
Windows 7 Pro x64
Kodi (for my entire library of shows/movies, mostly MKV)
PowerDVD 13
Windows Media Center with HD HR Prime Tuner

So I'm using Windows 7 for two reasons:
  1. TV Tuner -- if I recall correctly I couldn't get Windows Media Center (WMC) to work with HD HR Prime, and that's important to me b/c it's my main DVR/tuner.
  2. Scaling -- I have to run 1080p resolution because Windows Media Center wasn't working with 4k. Not sure if anyone has advice here, but I set up 1920x1080 and everything ran great this way.

So... does anyone use an HTPC as both a TV Tuner and for 4K Video?
Is this a bad combo to use HD HR Prime and also desire 4K video from the same machine? I feel like one holds the other back.
I want to be able to play 4k MKV from my library, but not sure what's going to hold me back. If I need a better video card or APU, I'll upgrade, but I'm worried I'll have to run 4k as my resolution and then lose my TV tuner.

Help! :) Thanks.

I'm no help on 4k, but I have W7 specifically for Media Center. My TV tuner card (Hauppauge) works with their software (awful) and Media Center. My HTPC is also my daily driver and gaming rig, and Media Center is hands down my favorite DVR. I think DRM is currently limiting 4k on computer to streaming.

I'm no help on 4k, but I have W7 specifically for Media Center. My TV tuner card (Hauppauge) works with their software (awful) and Media Center. My HTPC is also my daily driver and gaming rig, and Media Center is hands down my favorite DVR. I think DRM is currently limiting 4k on computer to streaming.

Darn. Yeah, my Samsung LED is a really nice 4K television, and I can only play 1080p content right now. I have some 4k content and don't know the best way to get it to work, at last the mastoska (MKV) files in my library...

Back