• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gcc 4.*

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have used it to make programs for the CS class I am currently taking and so far its been kind to me. Really I just keep coding like I always have for both GCC 3.XX and I get the same types of results.

4.0 is still highly experimental. It's not recommended that you use it as your main compiler.

MRD said:
4.0 is still highly experimental. It's not recommended that you use it as your main compiler.

I know. That's why I was asking if anyone has used it and what their experiences with it were. I hear it is suppose to be real nice.

Hmm, so apparently 4.0 is slower to compile and makes bigger, slower executables. Yay?

gcc4 is an improvement. It has better C++ standards compatibility and a better optimizer

However, it's not a good general compiler for your system since it has an incompatible ABI to gcc3. Wait until your distro comes as gcc4 compiled and the kernel at least grudgingly admits gcc4 is barely ok and not totally unsupported.

If it's a better optimizer, then why do all the benchmarks show that the code it produces runs more slowly than the code produced by the 3.4.x series?

Personally, I'm waiting for 4.1. They merged tree-SSA with the mainline for 3.0 which added a new way of optimizing. It should allow for better optimization, but still needs some work to get there. Hopefully 4.1 will have a nice speed improvement (and hopefully by then most of the old code out there that doesn't work with 4.0 will have patches out for it).

So it has a better optimization framework, it doesn't necessarily optimize better right now.

I had run GCC 4.x before it was actually released when I was trying LFS, but I had to switch back to 3.4.x because it kept giving me errors. Arch uses 4.0.2 by default now, and it seems to be working fine for the small amount of compiling I have done.

Back