• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Laptop Cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Snowlock

Registered
I have a relatively worthless laptop right now. Why might you ask is it worthless? Because it is a Dell. To be more specific, a Dell 5100, which has a horrible tendancy to overheat like a mofo and kill the computer. Usually within 5 minutes. This is a known bug / "feature" in 1100, 5100, 5150 line that dell spews forth from their diseased loins. I spent a hour and a half sending documents and even an admission by Dell that this is a defect and they still refuse to admit the problem exists. (no joke) google: 5100 overheat

You might ask why Dell doesn't fix this. Well, if you are asking that, you A.) don't own a dell 2.) Have never dealt with dell Epsilon.) you assume they care.

Ok, done ranting. But now to my question. Has anyone made a usable mod for laptop cooling? The laptop would be used quite a bit so it can't be a duct-taped mini-water cooler on the back. I am looking to crack it open and replace the heatsink / fan with something more powerful so that it doesn't continually overheat and die. As is stands now the only time I can use the laptop is when I manually set the fan (thru a nice little hack program someone made just for this laptop model because of the defect that doesn't exist) to high and have it sitting on a laptop cooling pad.

Without the fan on high and the cooling pad it tops out at 145 deg. F and quite literally dies. One of these days it is going to permanently damage itself. On the cooling pad with the fan on high, it is an acceptable 95 deg. F.

(both temps are reported at idle processing)

my bro has a lattitude dell laptop but its different case with him, the 2 the 2 fans start they make a noise u can hear but its not a big issue, cpu on his laptop is pentium M thats why it doesnt overheat.. as for pentium 4s on laptops i heard many overheat issues on laptops cuz of volatage..

good luck

Crack it open and take some measurements of the fan. It may be possible to install a more powerful unit with the same dimensions...While you're at it, you could lap the heatsink and re-install with some AS5...Can't hurt...

Snowlock said:
I have a relatively worthless laptop right now. Why might you ask is it worthless? Because it is a Dell. To be more specific, a Dell 5100, which has a horrible tendancy to overheat like a mofo and kill the computer. Usually within 5 minutes. This is a known bug / "feature" in 1100, 5100, 5150 line that dell spews forth from their diseased loins. I spent a hour and a half sending documents and even an admission by Dell that this is a defect and they still refuse to admit the problem exists. (no joke) google: 5100 overheat

You might ask why Dell doesn't fix this. Well, if you are asking that, you A.) don't own a dell 2.) Have never dealt with dell Epsilon.) you assume they care.

Ok, done ranting. But now to my question. Has anyone made a usable mod for laptop cooling? The laptop would be used quite a bit so it can't be a duct-taped mini-water cooler on the back. I am looking to crack it open and replace the heatsink / fan with something more powerful so that it doesn't continually overheat and die. As is stands now the only time I can use the laptop is when I manually set the fan (thru a nice little hack program someone made just for this laptop model because of the defect that doesn't exist) to high and have it sitting on a laptop cooling pad.

Without the fan on high and the cooling pad it tops out at 145 deg. F and quite literally dies. One of these days it is going to permanently damage itself. On the cooling pad with the fan on high, it is an acceptable 95 deg. F.

(both temps are reported at idle processing)
u cud underclock it, that shud significantly reduce the heat ....

Back