• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

my new fortron source 500w

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Des1017

really nice, good voltage.. but the fan is annoying as hell... when i kinda hit it it stops for a second =p should i open up the psu and try to see whats wrong with it?

I believe if you open the PSU you invalidate the warranty so, don't do it as if there is something wrong you'll need to rma it.

its just loud.. like picture one of your fans in your cpu hitting a wire constantly...

There's no warranty sticker to break - pull the top off and see if the fan is hitting something.

you need to jump the PSU first. To do this, get a paper clip, and connect the green wire pin and a black wire. Then plug the power from the wall into the PSU. If you don't jump it, it won't turn on just by applying power to it.

Look, be very careful. You are playing around with a lot of voltage. I suggest you just look at it first without running it. If there is something obstructing the fan it should be pretty obvious. I don't think you have much to gain by running it that way. If there is nothing obstructing it then you will need to rma it. I really don't think it's something to play around with.

If you run it with the cover off, don't touch anything in there while even if the power is connected to it while it's off. The heatsinks may be live.

Oklahoma Wolf said:
If you run it with the cover off, don't touch anything in there while even if the power is connected to it while it's off. The heatsinks may be live.
And if you happen to touch the Cap leads you can kill your self even if the unit is off and unplugged!

Having said that, I have opened them up before just don't touch the caps, and try to keep of the Heat sinks.

Archer36 said:
And if you happen to touch the Cap leads you can kill your self even if the unit is off and unplugged!

Having said that, I have opened them up before just don't touch the caps, and try to keep of the Heat sinks.
That's just great. If we don't hear back should we send an ambulance or a mortician?:) I still vote for caution over damn the torpedoes full voltage ahead!

you can't kill yourself. It will knock you on your *** and give you a good scare.

I've touched it a few times and nothing bad happened.

lol.. even with it unplugged and off you can still get hurt??? hmm i think ill deal with the noise for now =p maybe later ill take it off and just see if anything noticable.. if not ill live =)

Des1017 said:
lol.. even with it unplugged and off you can still get hurt??? hmm i think ill deal with the noise for now =p maybe later ill take it off and just see if anything noticable.. if not ill live =)
Well, it's nice to see you are alive. I was getting a little worried.:)

Des1017 said:

yes even with it off you can get hurt, becuase the caps hold a charge and those PSU's are pretty powerful.
just trying to give you a heads up, these nice folks are. :)

so the same thing with a monitor? man im surprised im not dead yet... ive opened up a psu before and messed around with it.. thinking that i would be fine if it was unplugged... What other electronics are like this?

When I was a kid and TV's had tubes that you could change and repair your own TV, I was taught by my dad to ground the chassis with a screw driver when I opened the back. A spark would jump from the chassis to the screw driver. The TV was then safe to touch. I figure the same thing could be done with a PSU.

Back