• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how do u people apply thermal compound ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

.. AE 86 ..

i am using ASII but i do not know how to make it the best and thinnest

i just put a bit on my finger tip and put it on core

how do u people do it ?

Hmm. I use a business card to apply it. I'm sure that's not the best way and will be frowned apon. Works well for me!

:rolleyes:

I use a basic single edge razor blade.

Using your finger is not recommended, because of the oils that are in the skin, if I remember correctly. A business card is ok, if it's clean. A razor is ok if you're careful! :p

(Them things are sharp, ya know...lol)

I smooth it with the blister pack that I use...can't seem to find anything else around. Probably not the best way.

*Moved to "Cooling"*

Here's my three answers, its up to you to decide which ones are truthful:

1) Carefully.

2) With a butter knife.

3) With my library card, cleaned with alcohol first.

Yoric said:
alcoholed exacto knife on alcoholed die
with one half grain o' rice worth of ASII

How the hell do you measure a half grain of rice? By volume or weight? Especially if it's a semi-sticky paste! You must have some steady hands, or the worlds strangest measuring cup!;)

"Alas, poor Yoric. I knew him well Horatio. And he had the strangest measuring cup on his kitchen counter." -Hamlet

I've been through this conversation so many times, I've applied it just about every way I've evr seen mentioned, and this works the best for me:

I measure either by volume or if I screw up and spray the proc with it I measure with however much remains after wiping as much off as I can with my trusty exacto knife

*nota bene trusty not rusty

I use finger but I wrap the finger first with thin plastic film (I don't know what you call it - the type you wrap food stuff in). The film stretches somewhat so it is easy to wrap it around finger so that the film has no wrinkles on it.

This way there is no risk of grease and I can get really thin (like almost see through) and even layer of AS II (possible finger prints will disappear under clamping pressure). This doesn't work so well on large uneven surfaces like northbridge or GPU without lapping, but very well with CPUs.

Normally I first clean everything with acetone, then smear enough AS II to HS and wipe it off, then to cpu, take excess off with knife or credit card and finally tap the rest gently with finger to smooth even surface (plastic film takes some of the AS II, if there is still plenty of it on CPU, I change to clean film).

Back