• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is a 500 Watt PSU really necessary?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It less about watts and more about Amps, particularly the 12v line(s). You don't need a PSU advertised at 500W if it has the sufficient Amps and it is a high quality PSU. High quality PSU's are Fortron/Sparkle, PCP&C, SeaSonic, OCZ, Antec (higher end models) and there are a few others that people may mention. These brands all live up to their specs which generic PSUs often don't. Because Watts = Volts X Amps a PSU with plenty of Amps is automatically going to be higher wattage.

Dukeman said:
It less about watts and more about Amps, particularly the 12v line(s). You don't need a PSU advertised at 500W if it has the sufficient Amps and it is a high quality PSU. High quality PSU's are Fortron/Sparkle, PCP&C, SeaSonic, OCZ, Antec (higher end models) and there are a few others that people may mention. These brands all live up to their specs which generic PSUs often don't. Because Watts = Volts X Amps a PSU with plenty of Amps is automatically going to be higher wattage.

ditto

and Id like to add:
Enermax is another good brand
also keep in mind that its better to have a few extra Ws than be short a few (Id recommend a 450W+ psu for your setup)

D

You could probably run that whole computer on a very good 350w or a 400w powersupply, but it would have to be at stock. If you wanted to overclock it the minimum I'd reccomend would be a 500w fortron bluestorm (which is really 460w).

I know that Antec are good. It ran a dual AMD athlon 2.5ghz(modded), raptor drive, and video. I did try and boot the a 6600GT and it did with this PS. I also have a Antec 550W true power which should be good for most.
I wouldnt even bother with a cheap one or one for a good price(unless its one list above) because its just not worth it in the end. Just spend the money on a good one and not have to worry about upgrading later.
My 2 cents.

Shawn

Many years ago I went to buy a refrigerator and the sales man told me to get something about 25% bigger than what I thought I needed. His rationale was there would be plenty of times the space would come in handy. Well, I figured he was just trying to sell me more expensive model to get a bigger commission. (no doubt, that was partly true) Within a year I was kicking myself for not listening to him as I tried to crowd everything into the smaller model. PSU's are the same. Don't just buy it for what you need now, but get something extra. This way if you upgrade or add on components you don't have to run out and buy another one. In the long run you will save money spending a little extra rather than trying to be a penny wise and a pound foolish.

yea i'm in the market for another psu due to what i thought was an ok choice, it performs alright but i should have bought better.... i'm not saying buy a pc&p 810 or anything but a decent 500+ wouldnt be a bad idea for you.

off topic i also don't see why you shouldnt spring for an sli system for later possibilities....

Many people have recommended the 500W Fortron Blustorm, so that was the one I was looking at. Seeing as so many people have told me to get a little bit bigger (and I'll probably end up overclocking) I'll probably get that one.

That's the voltage level that the board is giving the CPU. For an A64 Venice it's 1.4 volts. The A64's that are pre-winchesters were 1.5 volts. Overclockers use up to 1.65 volts.

Back