• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Feedback on my proposed gaming build (newbie)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Boooster

Hi all

In the past (~10 years ago) I used to build desktops and then for a varitey of reasons I moved on to laptops. I now have a work laptop which is convenient enough for me to move around the house with if necessary, and would like to move over from a personal laptop to a personal desktop. I figure with the money I usually spend of laptops ($1000 - $1200) every 3 years I can build a good desktop that will last me longer. I'm not an avid gamer, but I do enjoy video games when I have time, and would like to build a rig that will allow me play the upcoming GTA V on ultra settings (I know it's not been announced, but it should be soon), as well as revisiting Skyrim + mods on Ultra settings.

I just bought an Antec 1100 computer case and am looking at buying the following as well:

Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 OC with Boost ($300)
Intel Core i5-4670K ($230)
MSI Z87-G65 ($190)
Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600 MHz ($132)
SeaSonic G Series 550-Watt ($80)
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO ($140)
Seagate Barracuda 2TB Serial ATA Hard Drive ($90)
Samsung 840 Series 2.5 inch 120GB SATA SSD ($90)
Logitech Wireless Illuminated Keyboard K800 ($80)
Optical Drive

I'll be purchasing a few more fans for the computer case (comes with 2 but I can add a bunch more) but I have a few questions:

1. I've not set in stone on Video Card and Processor/MB combo so am open to advice to get a better bang for my buck. Ideally I'd like to keep me graphics card viable for the next few years (I don't need to play newer games on super high settings).

2. I set my budget to be around $1200 but can go a bit higher if it's worth it. The items above will run me around $900, and the additional items will probably be another $300-400 easily, so in my head I'm already willing to go to $1300. I can also get a decent monitor from a friend for now so that doesn't need to be part of my budget.

3. Regarding PSU - what would be a good unit for my needs? I may or not be overclocking. The above card comes overclocked and I have 0 experience in overclocking. I remember back in the day it was more dangerous and easy to damage your hardware, while today you can overclock with zero risk provided you aren't completely incompetent. That being the case, I may try and overclock. The PSU listed above is somethign that was recommended to and looks good, but always appreciate more feedback.

4. Motherboards - I am completely lost as to what to get - I am veering towards an intel processor due to them being better than AMD (from what I've read - not stating fact here), but I have no idea what to look for in motherboards. Hell, even 10 years ago motherboards were something I didn't understand. I've been looking at the MSI Z87-G45, and the G65, as well as the Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H. The G65 seems to have better reviews at a $30 increase over the other two. Which would be recommended for my needs?

5. Is there anything I am missing here (aside from monitor)?

For the past years I've been playing games on medium settings on my laptop, and would like to treat myself to a nice system - So far this sets my budget at around $1300ish which is OK, but if there are any places to cut costs or choose a better bang for my buck I'd appreciate advice.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated it - I've been looking up parts for the past few days, reading reviews and comparisons and I'm remembering how much fun this used to be happy I'm flying to the US in a few days and would like to buy all my parts there as where I am from there is a 30-40% markup.

This is a great system that will do you good. There is some fluff such as the 16 gb of ram but if you want to spend that much then go right ahead. I personally prefer Asus or Gigabyte over MSI but it's not the worst choice.

That looks great! Love the board choice for a gaming rig as tbat board was 'made for it' and will handle gaming and overclocking just fine.. Do not let personal opinion only sway your choice there.

I also agree that 16gb for a gamer is overkill.. go 2x4gb to save some money if you like.

Psu is fine for overclocking both cpu and gpu.

If you choose, the money you saved in the ram can be put towards a better ssd. Get tbe Samsung 850 evo instead of the basic one.

Thanks for the advice!

I'll be downgrading to 8GB and downgrading to a 1TB harddrive (I have a 2TB external and an extra TB isn't really necessary). I had a feeling there was some fluff here and am definitely looking to cut costs where necessary.

Thanks again!

If you're going to spend that much on a keyboard, get a mechanical one(my G710+ is phenomenal). You'll thank yourself later.

Past that, looks fine (as ED mentioned, 2x4GB is plenty for gaming). Have fun with it!

Back