• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Network Printer through my switch?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dylskee

I've got 5 wired computers and 1 wireless laptop on my network. A lynksys cable modem to a WRT54G for my laptop, and a Lynksys 8 port switch for the 5 computers.

Is there a way i can setup a printer to the switch or the router so it can be used by any computer at any given time. The computers are not always on so it's a pain trying to print when the computer hosting the printer isn't on. Do they make an adapter so i can use a usb or something?

I would not recommend a wireless print server for the sake of all things holy. Print servers can be problematic enough on their own when they get moody, throw in wireless and they can be a real PITA. If you were thinking about using a USB connection already, I would get a wired print server. Same idea though essentially, and a print server is exactly what you need.

Agreed, wired print server. I have two on my network, one is a Dlink USB model, and the other is a Dlink Centronics unit. Both work flawlessly.

linksys makes print servers that should stack nicely on top of your wrt54g and look nice and fancy, and seem to work pretty good. ive only had experience with an old one whe have at work (parallel) and it seems to work great, aside from the printer hooked to it bein old and graphics printed on it look like turd. but thats with the old (mid 90s) laser printer.

Back