• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Delta 190cfm rules!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vrykyl

Tornado Guy
Ok, so iv been using a 120mm sanyo denki 7-volted on my xp120 for ages, load temps with rig in my sig have been a consistent 38*c (I dont know what idle temp is - i dont idle)...but i found at anything less that 7v the sanyo denki wouldnt start at boot up :eh?: All the case fans in my case are identical 120mm sanyo denki's, but I find them a tad noisy at 7v...and I couldnt help let my eyes fall on the 190 cfm delta monster sitting in the corner begging to be let loose...
Unused since it melted the last rheostat i tried to control it with, I dusted it off and promptly made a 5v & 7v adapter from a molex y splitter, allowing me to quickly swap between 7v and 5v without having to dig out 2 seperate cables. At 7v testing the delta blew my speaker system remote control off my desk and was slightly louder than the denkis...at 5v tho it was much quieter and I could use it to make the remote scoot around the desk :)

I mounted it up on my xp120 at 5v and fired up my pc - instantly with only a fan change my load temps are now 35/36*c...and the delta is quieter too! plus my chipset and gpu temps have dropped by a few degrees too, probably due to the amount of cool air now sweeping over the board...
although in theory pushing less air (i think, im bad at math) than the denki I guess air pressure is the key to its power her....

All in all im remembering my love for stupidly powerfull fans, and re-awoken my soft spot for deltas ...... suddenly I have a lust for more of them.....only thing is I wish I had a rheostat that I could control it with dynamicly...so I can crank her up whenever I want without powering down... ;)

could i suggest the sunbeam rheobus?
can control up to 20w PER channel. got no idea what the power rating is on that monster, but it cant be THAT high!surely!lol.deltas rule!

iv no idea how to even go about making a 5v/7v switch... any links to guides?

@ bixit - trust me its a beast, rated at 3amps just to fire it up! some psu's dont even have the juice to start it...if i plugged it into my sunbeam controller it would kill it - you can only run these off a rheostat or custom cabling....

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=372297
guide stickied in the volt modding section

pic i made , ignore the one on the left, jsut pretend it isnt there, and wire fan's + to the +12v as you normally would for full power operation. it works by giving 5 volts instead of ground giving a voltage diff or 7 volts, and 12 volts when grounded. the diagram is a rear view of a standard single pole double throw toggle switch like can be found at radioshack for a couple $.

5712switch2.jpg

hope this helps, if you need more we can always answer any questions you might have.

ill try to solder one up tonight, to give the idea, once im off from work. im not gonna make promises tho lol, im lazy and i had 3 hours of sleep last night, i might photoshop something up while i wait for time to pass (time till i go home)

check back later, see if i have found motivation, ill at least have a more detailed drawing including molex plugs and to a fan.

Edit: i made a better drawing, showing how its wired from molex to switch to fan. the top ground wire can be removed ,not needed, it runs off to nowhere. hope this is a little more help, i really dont think ill be conscious long enough to solder one up. sorry, but i think this should be enough info to be helpful.

http://www.copperfast.com/jim/albums/random/57switch.jpg
edit again... ignore the naming of the pic, its really a 7 12 switch haha....

Last edited:
I "think" its a 3 point toggle.

1 5v
1 grnd
1 7v

I've let the smoke out a few times ...so don't take my word as gold on this.

:rolleyes:

the ground referred to in warrior's post is the ground ot the fan, not form the molex! that WOULD make smoke if it were wired like that.

hope the pic i posted helps lol.

it helps if i post the pic dont it? gonna edit it again...

after ou have the pic loaded, it resizes i believe. so then ou need to click it to open the full sized version. the wa i shrinks it makes it difficult to see lines, prett much makes them nonexistant. f you see like a garbled black box where the pic should be, give it a clicksy, and it should open up and (unless the browser resizes it) be full size and readable.

but mine isnt the 220cfm delta...read the thread title, its the 190cfm version...so its 12v!

Thanks four4875! il have to give the 12/7/5v switch a try :) Im guessing the fan wont have a stress with the voltages suddenly jumping back and forth? its why i usually try and go for a rheo....

I happen to have an extra rheostat all wired up that is sized exactly for this fan it runs at 7V at it's lowest setting up to 12V at max. Send me a PM if you are interested.

LOL, why does he think only a few of us want to know? when he could likley link to hte last thread he's explained it in :p

But, I do like the idea of using the lowest setting on a rehostat be 7v... esp if used on a CPU fan where turning the fan off may result in broken stuff.

Cheers Electron Chaser :D tho what im really after is a 12v to 0ff rheo, so that I have a full range of adjustment...7v min would be fine if my pc wasnt on 24/7 in my room - makes it a tad hard to sleep ;)
*edit* if the fan goes off thats what 'cpu shutdown temperature' is for :p

http://www.copperfast.com/jim/fanswitch

here, some pics for ya, did a quick step by step, aside from the soldering and taping part, didnt feel like busting out the iron and all. took me around 7 minutes. soldering will make it slightly longer, but not too much. be sure that the contacts on the back of the switch dont touch, and the switchi used was a double pole double throw, not a single pole double throw. can ignore the other set of contacts, its basically 2 SPDTs stuck together. lemme know what yalls think, or if you ave any questions ask away.

cheers! il have a go at knocking one of these up! you guys sure it wont effect the fan not smoothly jumping from voltage to voltage?

Back